3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Airbag Light/Connector

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 12:01 PM
hemismith
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag Light/Connector

I have a 2011 Durango. A long time ago my airbag light started coming on intermittently, then steady. It was on for a while and the dealer was a little too quick to say I needed a new airbag. Then it went off and was off for a long time. Recently it started coming on again, then went off, and now it is back on all the time. I've heard that it's often the connector. It's the yellow one, right? How do you get the connector apart? I see a red tab that pulls out, but it still doesn't seem to want to pull apart.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:04 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

If you want an air bag to blow up in your face, the best way is to start yanking on those electrical connectors going to it. If the light is on, there is a code stored. Unfortunately your every day, run of the mill OBD code reader wont read those codes. If you don't know what you are doing, pay the diagnostic fee and have the dealer retrieve the codes. Then you will know exactly whats wrong.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:34 AM
hemismith
Amateur

Thanks, I agree that safety is the best policy, I certainly don't want the airbag to go off. And certainly any advice has to be double-checked. Here are some of the reasons I asked though:
  • I already took it to the dealer and they couldn't give me an explanation.
  • Codes cannot always tell what the real problem is.
  • The problem is intermittent.
  • The connector appears to be a common problem.
  • I was told by a shop that it's not a problem to look at if the car is off, but I would disconnect the battery.
At any rate, so far all I did was wiggle the wires and the light went off. Did the same thing a week ago.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:40 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Which airbag? The car is full of them.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:21 AM
hemismith
Amateur

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm not even sure if it's the airbag or sensor, but I'm looking at wiring under the passenger seat. There are two similar connectors, one of which is yellow which I understand to be airbags, so in this case the side airbag.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:12 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hemismith
Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm not even sure if it's the airbag or sensor, but I'm looking at wiring under the passenger seat. There are two similar connectors, one of which is yellow which I understand to be airbags, so in this case the side airbag.

Most of the time it's a seat airbag squib wire. It's a connection issue with the terminals.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-07-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Airbag Light/Connector