3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

MDS(ECO) viberation

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016 | 12:49 PM
Crankshaft57
|
Rookie
Default MDS(ECO) viberation

When the ECO letters come on I feel a vibration from the steering wheel. This could go on for a mile or so and then there is a jerk and everything smooth's out. Sometimes I will step on the gas and the ECO letters will go out but when they come back on the vibration will start again. Anyone?

Auggie

Old 04-04-2016 | 03:24 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

Thanks for reaching out. Is this something that occurs consistently? Do you feel the vibration anywhere other than the steering wheel with the ECO letters turn on? At what speed is this typically occurring? Thanks! - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Old 04-05-2016 | 11:51 AM
Crankshaft57
|
Rookie

Yes, it happens all the time. Not so much in town driving because I am on and off the throttle but at freeway speeds(60/80) with the cruise control on. As soon as the engine switches to four cyl's(MDS)the vibration starts. It seems as though the MDS is trying to but can't quite get to the four cyl mode. Then there will be a jerk and everything smooth's out. This may take a mile or two to happen. If it goes on longer I worry that harm is being done so I blip the throttle to get out of MDS, but as soon as it tries to go back the vibration starts again. I feel the vibration in the steering wheel the most but there is also a groaning noise and everything seems to be vibrating. Can the engine management system be reprogramed to eliminate this problem? 2012 Crew 5.7

Auggie

Last edited by Crankshaft57; 04-05-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-05-2016 | 12:59 PM
SHO Rod
All Star

Sounds a bit like you might have a misfire that becomes more noticeable when the cylinder deactivation is active (ie: on one of the cylinders that remains on). Have you ever changed the spark plugs? It might be worth pulling the spark plugs and carefully inspecting them for one that has a different coloration than the others or possibly signs of a crack in the insulator.

-Rod

Old 04-05-2016 | 02:32 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

Originally Posted by Crankshaft57
Yes, it happens all the time. Not so much in town driving because I am on and off the throttle but at freeway speeds(60/80) with the cruise control on. As soon as the engine switches to four cyl's(MDS)the vibration starts. It seems as though the MDS is trying to but can't quite get to the four cyl mode. Then there will be a jerk and everything smooth's out. This may take a mile or two to happen. If it goes on longer I worry that harm is being done so I blip the throttle to get out of MDS, but as soon as it tries to go back the vibration starts again. I feel the vibration in the steering wheel the most but there is also a groaning noise and everything seems to be vibrating. Can the engine management system be reprogramed to eliminate this problem? 2012 Crew 5.7

Auggie
Thanks for the follow-up. TSB 19-003-14 may relate to your vehicle. Thanks! – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

SUBJECT:
Clunk And/Or Bump Felt Through The Steering Wheel Under Moderate Braking And/Or
Driving Over Rough Roads
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves road testing and if necessary replacing the intermediate shaft.
MODELS:
2011-2012 (WD) Durango
2011-2012 (WK) Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built before July 01, 2011 (MDH0701XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Clunk and/or bump felt through the steering wheel under moderate braking or driving over
rough roads. This can be caused by spline stick/slip from the intermediate shaft.

Old 04-05-2016 | 05:19 PM
Crankshaft57
|
Rookie

Thanks Dodge but my problem is on smooth freeways and with the MDS(ECO).

Auggie

Old 04-06-2016 | 11:58 AM
DDCREW
Professional

Has your dealer/mechanic done any software updates? When I complained of shuddering when switching in-and-out of ECO, they did the following software updates: Power Control Module flash for shuddering, Steering Angle Sensor Module, and Drive Train Control Module. Unfortunately the tech didn't list any of the TSB numbers for those updates, but FCA Customer Care should be able to track them down.

I still feel the slight thump when switching in-and-out of ECO but only when going up or down a hill and adjusting the gas pedal at the same time; but there is no shudder.

Old 04-06-2016 | 02:47 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

Auggie
Thanks for the follow up. Per DDCREW, the PCM TSB for Shuddering is 18-035-14. At this rate, I’d recommend getting a proper diagnosis from your local servicing FCA dealer. If you need assistance, establishing an appointment, please let me know. Thanks! – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

SUBJECT:
Flash: Surge, Shudder or Pulsation at Highway Speeds
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) with new software.
NOTE: This is an optional software update that should only be used in situations
where the customer is specifically complaining of the condition described
below.
MODELS:
2012 - 2013 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2012 - 2013 (WD) Durango
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine (sales code
EZH).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A small number of customers may experience a surge, shudder or pulsation type
sensation when driving on smooth road surfaces at highway speeds of 40-80 mph (64-129
km/h). Some customers may also describe the sensation similar to that of a fish biting on a
fishing line.
NUMBER: 18-035-14
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: July 04, 2014
NOTE: This is an optional software update that should only be used in situations
where the customer is specifically complaining of the above condition. There
will be two separate software options displayed on the wiTECH flash tab. The
software file released for this SB contains the verbiage “REFERENCE SB
18-035-14. THIS FLASH TO BE USED ONLY FOR SHUDDER COMPLAINTS”.
The other file is the standard software that does not contain improvements
for this complaint. If for some reason the customer finds this shudder
improvement objectionable, the PCM software may be returned/reflashed to
the standard version.
If the customer complains of the above condition, perform the Repair Procedure.

Old 04-06-2016 | 04:24 PM
Crankshaft57
|
Rookie

Hey, that sounds like my problem. Dodge & DDCREW do you guy's know if this fix would be covered under the 5yr/100000 mi Power Train Warranty ?

Auggie

Old 04-06-2016 | 04:59 PM
mprtech

PCM flashes are covered under the extended emissions warranty.

Quick Reply: MDS(ECO) viberation