3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2012 Durango Citadel P0480 cooling fan issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 11:15 PM
rammer32
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Durango Citadel P0480 cooling fan issue

Hey guys, this is my first post on this site. I am hunting down an issue and I'm hoping to find someone that can point me in the right direction.

a few weeks ago my wifes 2012 hemi durango citadel threw an error for the fan.. I took it to the dealer thinking that it was under warranty.. turns out the fan isn't under power train warranty. They decided it was the fan assembly and wanted 1180 bucks to put in a new fan. I declined and purchased an aftermarket unit and put it on myself. wasn't difficult at all. kinda tight. fan was 400 bucks ( HD cooling ). CEL was gone. Well fast forward a couple weeks and the CEL is back and same code. but problem is.. the Fan works. Hi and Low speeds.. and it will cycle up and down. I went to check the relay, but couldn't locate it.. ( any one know which one is the fan relay? ) I found the fuse and pulled it and reseated it.. started it up to go and the CEL was gone.. stayed that way for a few starts and it came back.. Fan still is working.

Why would the P0480 code be throwing if the fan is working? Any ideas? Anyone know where the fan relay is ?

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:18 PM
rammer32

The company I got the fan from will replace the fan with a new unit over night.. but I don't want to replace that if it isn't the issue.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:48 PM
rammer32

Any ideas?

Old 04-11-2017, 06:52 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

replace the fuse, replace the relay, clean the contacts, check for a good ground on both the fan and the control circuit for the relay, ohm out the fan and see if the coils are beginning to short, you have lots of steps to take.

The resistance of the coils should be available from the manufacturer since your already in contact with them.

relays should be labelled in the lid of the main fuse box or power distribution center (usually under the hood, or near the battery)

Old 04-11-2017, 02:25 PM
rammer32

Turned out to be the control wire.. I took it back to the dealership and told them I had paid for a diagnosis of the problem and didn't get it.. So they pulled it in and it took them 2 days to find. The tech replaced the wire with a new wire and all is well. He said the wire was not passing appropriate voltage. Triggering the code.