3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

New Member Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 11:42 AM
Nate 03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Question

Hi everyone, new member looking for real world advice. Long story short I have been looking for months at a larger SUV to pull my boat. I have a 21’ Stingray with a tandem axle trailer. I estimate when loaded it weighs about 5000 to 5500 lb. I haven’t brought it to a scale. I have read enough to know that I want the Hemi Durango could pull it, but I pull a LOT in the summer. At least once every week and a half. I take 6 hour trips one way with the boat on highway to extremely long ascents on the highway that are in mountainous areas. Today I pull it with a Hemi Ram 1500 crew cab on the longer trips and some of the big climbs do get the hemi working hard. Believe or not on shorter trips a Chevy Traverse with FWD. I hate when I have to use the Traverse not only because it sucks getting the boat out of the water with FWD, but because you feel every freaking jolt from the boat. It just feels so much different than the boat than the truck. So my question is.. 1. Do you get that same jolty feeling in the Durango when you tow because it is not a truck frame?
2. Would the Durango Hemi pull similarly to the Ram in terms of performance?
3. I am trying to find a used R/T with AWD. I want the newer ones. How is your reliability with the Hemi because the later models that are available were almost always a rental which really worries me because I imagine person after person mashing down the pedal for 30k miles and as much as I will be towing a lot and want it for a LONG time if spending that kind of money.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:30 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned mine for 30k and still mash on the pedal. Puts a smile on my face every time.

I pull a camper that weighs more than your boat and don't have problems with a "jolt" feeling now that I use a clip to hold the receiver tight to the hitch.
Amazon Amazon

I do plan to get a sway control/weight distributing hitch as the wind and overall bouncing is a bit much. But the device linked above might fix your jolting problem regardless of which SUV you are using.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:46 AM
Nate 03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wi-steve
I've owned mine for 30k and still mash on the pedal. Puts a smile on my face every time.

I pull a camper that weighs more than your boat and don't have problems with a "jolt" feeling now that I use a clip to hold the receiver tight to the hitch.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07474KJTQ...a-348043391427

I do plan to get a sway control/weight distributing hitch as the wind and overall bouncing is a bit much. But the device linked above might fix your jolting problem regardless of which SUV you are using.
Thank you. The jolts are basically implying anything the boat feels we feel too. When using the truck it dampens it so much better, but maybe you are on to something with that clip. Never seen that before. Good to know it sounds like it can hold up to the mashing! Finding one with the trailer package will be the harder part.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:42 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile The DD can do it.

The DD with the tow package and the Hemi can do it.
The additional towing equipment suggested will enable you to tow safely.

Quick Reply: New Member Question