3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

5.7 Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 05:20 PM
Dawson Bailey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7 Exhaust Manifold Bolts

I have recently purchased a 2012 Dodge Durango Crew AWD 5.7 and have noticed a light engine ping during startup that slowly quiets when warm. I have done research and found that common issue is exhaust manifold bolts have cracked. I have priced it out totally makes sense to do it myself. Looking for guideance what is the most efficient way in accessing the bolts? I am fully aware that I may have to do drill and easy-out the cracked bolts.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:01 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

don't drill or use extractors...have seen more head damage using this method.
I do this repair monthly...mig weld a nut onto the broken stud and turn the nut out with a wrench. if the stud is below the surface of the head, put a few tacks on it to build it up, place the nut over the hole and weld thru the hole in the nut to bring the stud and nut together.
measure the warpage of the manifold...if its exceeds 0.008" per foot, consider machining it or replacing.

shops charge 1.5 hours per side for the manifold plus extraction time...usually another 0.5 per side depending on how many bolts are broken.

if the bolts aren't broken...try a different fuel supplier or go up an octane and see if the problem changes.

Last edited by primem; 03-13-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:45 PM
Dawson Bailey

Originally Posted by primem
don't drill or use extractors...have seen more head damage using this method.
I do this repair monthly...mig weld a nut onto the broken stud and turn the nut out with a wrench. if the stud is below the surface of the head, put a few tacks on it to build it up, place the nut over the hole and weld thru the hole in the nut to bring the stud and nut together.
measure the warpage of the manifold...if its exceeds 0.008" per foot, consider machining it or replacing.

shops charge 1.5 hours per side for the manifold plus extraction time...usually another 0.5 per side depending on how many bolts are broken.

if the bolts aren't broken...try a different fuel supplier or go up an octane and see if the problem changes.
Thank you for the tip but I am more interested in how to get to the bolts in the first place. I have been threw many posts and everyone has diagnosed the problem, but no one has posted the how to fix. The dodge ram videos show taking out the wheel tubs and having great access the Durango doesn't share that design.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:41 PM
dwag

Dawson, I am in the same situation I have a 2011 HEMI Durango and have looked on forums and youtube and can only find the older Durangos or Ram trucks. I can not identify the best way to access the manifold bolts, did you have any luck? Any Dodge Mechanics that can share the tricks.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:09 AM
Dawson Bailey

Originally Posted by dwag
Dawson, I am in the same situation I have a 2011 HEMI Durango and have looked on forums and youtube and can only find the older Durangos or Ram trucks. I can not identify the best way to access the manifold bolts, did you have any luck? Any Dodge Mechanics that can share the tricks.
I ended up going to a local exhaust shop for an inspection to see what they suggested. Turns out what I thought was a cracked manifold bolt or leaky gaskets was just "normal" hemi tick. They checked the bolts and did a pressure check. All said and done I ended up paying nothing which is better than me removing bolts and replacing gaskets for nothing.

Quick Reply: 5.7 Exhaust Manifold Bolts