3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Thinking if Buying a Durango

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 08:11 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Thinking if Buying a Durango

Long time Mopar fan and am thinking about buying a D. Now I own 2 1st gen Ds. 2nd gens were ugly to me and I like the buddy of the 3rd gens just don't like that they are unibody... Who likes theirs and anything you would change/I should look out for? Anybody taken theirs off road?

Old 03-16-2018, 06:17 PM
Waynead
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO it's not an off rod vehicle. The front air dam (or whatever you call it) is low, even for on road snow.

But for an on-road and towing vehicle I love it.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:39 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To expand on Waynead said... yeah, not for off road. It's a little smaller than a minivan but bigger inside than most any car based SUV. It's one of the only SUVs out there with a V8 unless you go true full size. It's one of the faster SUVs out there, but also has really impressive handling even in the base models.

Can it hold a sheet of plywood? No. Haul as many people as my wife's van? No (get the bench 2nd row if this is a concern, I have the 2nd row console and wish it wasn't there).

It's a beast in snow (with AWD), especially with the right tires, and tows more than any other small or mid size SUV. Very easy to live with, fun to drive hard, and able to get a lot of work done.

Unibody vs frame really doesn't mean much to me. Either it tows, handles, etc or doesn't. Now, if only the made these with the air ride so we could dial up the height when needed like Grand Cherokee.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:07 AM
SJRhino
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from 3 explorers (past generations) to a 2014 D. I love the D compared to the Explorers. It's ride and handling are much better than the Ex, and I love the seats. Even though I wish it still had selective 4x4, its a beast in the snow and on the beach. Never had a problem with it off-road, but I'm not taking it into conditions that I'd need a Jeep Wrangler. Search for a Popular Mechanics article back in 2014 regarding off-road testing of new era AWD SUVs; you see the Durango drove around the whole time with a tow rope attached to pull-out the other vehicles. The Durango was rated #1, #2 was Honda Pilot. Mine now has 80k and I'm just getting ready to change the original brake pads. Other than the recalled alternator and my recent issue with CEL codes (see my post) I have had zero issues. Love the fact that changing the oil is simple and not messy. I have the 3.6L with the auto 8 speed, very quick and fun to drive. You don't even feel the 8 speed shift. As far as Consumers Reports goes, the 2014 seems to be the best year for this Gen.

Quick Reply: Thinking if Buying a Durango