3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Radiator removal 3rd Gen Durango

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 05:24 PM
Spooney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator removal 3rd Gen Durango

2011 Durango with the Hemi, got a leak in the radiator so I am trying to replace it. I've got the electric fan out of the engine bay, but I can't figure out how to remove the radiator without a complete disassembly of the front end. Is it even possible or am I stuck with pulling the bumper cover and all the crap between it and the radiator?

Thanks.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:22 PM
Prospect62
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spooney
2011 Durango with the Hemi, got a leak in the radiator so I am trying to replace it. I've got the electric fan out of the engine bay, but I can't figure out how to remove the radiator without a complete disassembly of the front end. Is it even possible or am I stuck with pulling the bumper cover and all the crap between it and the radiator?

Thanks.
This is from a Grand Cherokee FSM but the procedure should be the same. I was always under the assumption that you'd need to remove the bumper cover and grille (which isn't really that involved, probably like a half hour worth of work) but this would seem to indicate that you can pull it up and out once you get the cross member out.

WARNING:Do not remove the cylinder block drain plugs or loosen the radiator draincock with the system hot and under pressure. Serious burns from coolant can occur. Refer to cooling system draining. Do not waste reusable coolant. If the solution is clean, drain the coolant into a clean container for reuse.
WARNING:Constant tension hose clamps are used on most cooling system hoses. When removing or installing, use only tools designed for servicing this type of clamp. Always wear safety glasses when servicing constant tension clamps.

CAUTION:A number or letter is stamped into the tongue (2) of constant tension clamps (1). If replacement is necessary, use only an original equipment clamp with matching number or letter.

CAUTION:When removing the radiator or A/C condenser for any reason, note the location of all radiator-to-body and radiator-to-A/C condenser rubber air seals. These are used at the top, bottom and sides of the radiator and A/C condenser. To prevent overheating, these seals must be installed to their original positions.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable at battery.
  2. Drain coolant from radiator (Refer to 07 - Cooling - Standard Procedure) .
  3. Remove the A/C condenser (4) (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Plumbing/CONDENSER, A/C - Removal) .
  4. Remove the upper radiator crossmember.
  5. Disconnect the upper radiator hose.
  6. Disconnect the overflow hose from radiator.
  7. Remove the cooling fan assembly (Refer to 07 - Cooling/Engine/FAN, Cooling - Removal) .
  8. Remove the lower radiator hose from the water pump.
  9. The lower part of the radiator is equipped with two alignment dowel pins and fit into rubber grommets. These rubber grommets are pressed onto the radiator.
  10. Gently lift up and remove radiator from vehicle. Be careful not to scrape the radiator fins against any other component.
  11. Remove the lower radiator hose from the radiator.
I found these videos (a couple from the Motor City Mechanic who is a GREAT resource) and then a third. If you watch them all I'm sure it would help you immensely.

Quick Reply: Radiator removal 3rd Gen Durango