3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 09:46 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brakes

Has anyone here done their own pads/rotors? I'm at about 65,000 miles and while they aren't toast there is a bit of pulsing. I have a large camper and also like the feel of a vehicle with good bite when i want to stop.

I had contemplated swapping out to the SRT brakes, but that is a pretty costly bunch of brakes. I'm wondering how hard it is to do this myself (last brake job I did was on an 85 Corolla some 20 plus years ago). And also if anyone has suggestions for good quality replacement pads/rotors or if OEM is the best option.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:30 AM
GDM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't comment on doing a brake job, never did that. I can comment on OEM brake parts since the 2011 DD Crew with V6 and tow package that I am driving since new has the original brakes. I have just over 115,000 miles and had the brakes inspected a few thousand mikes ago and was told then I had adequate life left in the brakes. I tow a sizable boat periodically. Having said this, I will be satisfied with OEM brake parts at my first brake job. I have never driven any vehicle this long or far before without having brakes serviced. I'm impressed to say the least. I have no indication of noise or pulsating brakes when stopping today to suggest I need to replace them soon.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:45 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Brake pads and rotors are not bad to replace on the Durango, assuming you have done a 4-wheel disc brake service on a vehicle built within the last 20 years or so. To get the rotors off you'll probably need a breaker bar if they've never been off before. The bolts that hold the caliper mounting bracket to the front spindle are installed with thread lock from the factory. It's a good idea to use blue thread locker when re-installing as I have seen these bolts come loose on other brands of vehicles.

I'm not sure what all would be involved in upgrading the brakes to the SRT version, however I question whether you should really consider a full-size truck for towing if the brakes cause you concern when towing your camper.

-Rod

Old 05-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Prospect62
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
The bolts that hold the caliper mounting bracket to the front spindle are installed with thread lock from the factory. It's a good idea to use blue thread locker when re-installing as I have seen these bolts come loose on other brands of vehicles.
The right rear caliper on my 2011 Durango came unbolted from the spindle at highway speeds, causing the caliper to drop and impact the inside of the wheel which shattered the rim causing the tire to blow. USE THREADLOCKER. That was the difference for me.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:58 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Yikes, that's good confirmation that it's wise to reinstall with thread locker.

-Rod

Old 05-14-2018, 07:55 PM
Prospect62
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
Yikes, that's good confirmation that it's wise to reinstall with thread locker.

-Rod
Yep, fun stuff indeed.

Quick Reply: Brakes