3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Vw Atlas vs Durango

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 10:33 PM
Stilt
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vw Atlas vs Durango

first off it’s going to be the wife’s car. Daily driver. Secondly, sorry if this doesn’t fit. Thirdly, I really like my dodges. I’ve had 2 chargers. 2 Dakotas. Daytona. Jeep Cherokee. We test drove both. She’s liking VW more. Any Durango positive input? Lastly, imagine if I persuade her and she doesn’t end up liking it.....

Last edited by Stilt; 06-21-2018 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:14 PM
wi-steve
Veteran

Motor trend has written up the vehicle a few times, but as usual when they compare it to other vehicles they tend to forget that the Durango exists.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/volks...-drive-review/

I've not driven an Atlas, but here is my take: it's a new design vs the Dodge which is a design from 2011 refreshed in 2014. So it has that "newness" to it. The dodge design is old, but on the bright side that means they have had 7 years to work the bugs out. The VW strikes me as lot more grown up and serious looking. Conservative. BAsed on the reviews I read, it's no performer - it's a big SUV that at least is not a minivan. Where the Durango has more of a performance personality and can be pretty quick. Even the Dodge V6 is fun to drive, but the V8 model will put a grin on a gearhead's face repeatedly. The VW does 0-60 in about 8 seconds, slow for the class, and MPG is not impressive.

If towing is a consideration the Dodge probably wins. The AWD systems used by Dodge (and platform mate Jeeps) also tends to be excellent, particularly in the V8 versions which have a low range. In a test a few years back one of the magazines noted that they used the Dodge to pull the other vehicles out of the sand when they got stuck during testing.

I have seen some of the new Atlases driving around. They look sharp. I have always been a fan of VWs too. It's all a matter of what she wants in a vehicle. If you are trying to sway her to a Dodge the best advice is probably to have her test drive one with all the toys that she wants, but in my family her car is her choice... i sure don't want my wife pissed at me cause I pushed her to the car that I wanted her to get. I do enough other things to irritate her!

Old 06-21-2018, 05:55 AM
Stilt

Thank you. That was a very articulate helpful response and I am grateful for the time and effort you put into it.

Quick Reply: Vw Atlas vs Durango