3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Another thing . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 01:34 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another thing . . .

. . . about the Durango's Auto Turn-Off function while stopped. Luckily there is the option to turn the function off EACH TIME you get in the truck. An inconvenience, yes. BUT when the engine quits so does the air conditioning! This is a bigger inconvenience for sure: think about driving in NYC in August at 92 degrees 90 percent humidity and being caught in a traffic jam for 10-20 minutes. The only option is A) creeping forward continually, if possible, or B) disable the Auto Turn-off function. If you select option A, then good luck on that in a NYC traffic jam. If you select option B then why bother with the function at all?
Yes. I am grousing over a relatively minor hic-up in the FCA world. But it makes me wonder what is going on at Dodge's engineering department because I'm pretty sure an engineer would not come up with this silly idea, or if they did they're probably a member of the Ralph Nadar fan club. Just grousing.
Dodge Cares: would you please pass this along to your engineering department? Thanks.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:54 PM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Turn off the A/C while you're stuck in traffic? That's just stupid!!!

Old 06-28-2018, 06:42 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Orin500XL
. . . about the Durango's Auto Turn-Off function while stopped. Luckily there is the option to turn the function off EACH TIME you get in the truck. An inconvenience, yes. BUT when the engine quits so does the air conditioning! This is a bigger inconvenience for sure: think about driving in NYC in August at 92 degrees 90 percent humidity and being caught in a traffic jam for 10-20 minutes. The only option is A) creeping forward continually, if possible, or B) disable the Auto Turn-off function. If you select option A, then good luck on that in a NYC traffic jam. If you select option B then why bother with the function at all?
Yes. I am grousing over a relatively minor hic-up in the FCA world. But it makes me wonder what is going on at Dodge's engineering department because I'm pretty sure an engineer would not come up with this silly idea, or if they did they're probably a member of the Ralph Nadar fan club. Just grousing.
Dodge Cares: would you please pass this along to your engineering department? Thanks.

you probably have the federal govt (epa specifically) to thank for that, since they have to meet the fuel efficiency requirements that they lay down (sometimes arbitrarily) for a given model year. the easiest way to save fuel is to turn the engine off, so when its not needed to move they stop providing it with fuel, otherwise they have 0mpg data points to factor in to the average fuel efficiency data. I agree, i wouldnt want the engine shutting down in that situation either, or any other time except when i turn the key off for many reasons including longevity of the engine which i cannot imagine the start/stop helping any

Quick Reply: Another thing . . .