3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2013 Crew Voltage Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 10:40 PM
etc22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Crew Voltage Gauge

OK, two questions on my 2013 Crew.
1. Is there seriously no voltage gauge? Also no voltage info in the Vehicle info screens - ? That just seems bizarre.
2. There is a "cigarette lighter" plug in the bottom of the center console - it seems it is in the always powered mode, ie even when the vehicle is turned off. Is this changeable somehow? Why would you want this always powered? I like the placement and it would be really handy but I don't want it always on as I'm afraid of the battery drain of anything that's plugged into it (like my dash cam).

Old 07-10-2018, 08:00 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Check your owner's manual on the function of the accessory port. I don't recall if it was my former Durango or a different vehicle, but I had one that if you wanted the port only on with the key you just had to move a fuse from one spot in the box to an adjacent spot.

As for the voltage gauge, FCA may have removed a voltage readout when they went to "smart" charging systems. For fuel economy purposes many modern vehicles only enable the alternator to charge when the system needs the extra power. Having a readout that sometimes showed a system voltage of 12.3V when the engine is running could cause folks to think they need a new alternator in their brand new vehicle that they just spent $50k on and bad mouth the vehicle all over the Internet even though the system is working exactly as designed.... On a modern vehicle a voltage gauge would likely be more misleading than useful.

-Rod

Old 07-10-2018, 10:01 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

From the owners manual:

ELECTRICAL POWER OUTLETS Your vehicle is equipped with 12 Volt (13 Amp) power outlets that can be used to power cellular phones, small electronics and other low powered electrical accessories. The power outlets are labeled with either a “key” or a “battery” symbol to indicate how the outlet is powered. Power outlets labeled with a “key” are powered when the ignition switch is in the ON or ACC position, while the outlets labeled with a “battery” are connected directly to the battery and powered at all times.

Quick Reply: 2013 Crew Voltage Gauge