3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

what makes the fan come on with A/c?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018 | 10:45 PM
Spuddy98
|
Default what makes the fan come on with A/c?

We have a 2013 Citadel and the AC has quit working. upon checking pressures with gauges i have discovered that the cooling fans do not come on at high speed when the air conditioning is on. They do cycle with the thermal switch for engine cooling but not to cool the condenser. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-24-2018 | 02:16 AM
primem
Record Breaker

what engine you got..builds may be different
the 3.6 supplies power to the fan using fuses and ground controls relays to turn them on based on data from the trans oil temp, a/c pressure, coolant temp

have you confirmed the a.c compressor is engaging? Even if the fans were not coming on...the a/c system would work briefly until it overpressured when not moving. It should work ok at speed due to air movment thru the condenser. point being, if the a.c pressure switch is not turning on the compressor...the system probably won't turn on the fan.

Old 07-24-2018 | 04:33 PM
Spuddy98
|

Thanks for your response Primem. Yes the ac is working. The compressor is running. Pressures are about 45-50 low side with 200 high side. The fan kicks on probably due to a thermal device and the pressures fall to 25 low side and about 150 high side. I do believe the system is low on freon. I will address that when I get the fan working properly. I need to know if the Fans have a separate A/C relay or if the are controlled strictly by the body computer GEM or whatever fiat calls it now. Thanks again for your response.

Old 07-24-2018 | 07:47 PM
primem
Record Breaker

what engine?

Quick Reply: what makes the fan come on with A/c?