3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2017 Durango Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 11:06 PM
Tania Hughes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Durango Front End Noise

We bought our 2017 DD R/T used with 37,000 miles almost two weeks ago. I drive it everyday, city driving and has been great! I drove long distance for the first time last week. Got to my destination, parked it for about 4 hours, started it up and felt and sounded like I had a flat tire but all was good. Then it was louder, like I was dragging my front end. Pulled over and look underneath and nothing. Took off again and sound like it was a car that has been through the ringer, people looking at me wondering what the heck. I switched it from automatic to manual and it was smooth. Maybe it was a coincidence but I drove home that way as I was terrified something was really wrong. Took in to be looked and because they can’t get it duplicate they can’t do anything!!!!! Well I recorded it and I was able to get it to do it again three times and sent the video to the servicer and they said that they need it to do it for them otherwise they can’t figure it out. I need help with this as I know something is wrong and I don’t want to drive my kids around and wait for something bad to happen. Please see attached video for the sound. It sounds like a lawn mower with a rock stuck in it as the car engine is running. The video is at the below link....

Old 02-15-2019, 08:01 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Sounds like a leaking exhaust.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:31 PM
Tania Hughes

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Would it do it intermittently if it was an exhaust leak? Dodge sent it to a transmission shop. So hopefully they figure it out. Thank you.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:42 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Probably the AWD/4WD transfer unit. Might be getting stuck between modes.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:15 AM
wildspeed
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
+1

Just had broken exhaust manifold bolts replaced on mine and mostly noisy when engine cold

Last edited by wildspeed; 02-17-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:02 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

If it only does it when the engine is cold, it's probably something like a broken exhaust manifold stud, cracked manifold, or some other bolted exhaust area. Maybe when you shifted to manual mode was right about the same time things got up to temperature and expanded enough to seal up the exhaust leak. If you can draw a correlation to it being when the engine/exhaust is cold, as the dealership if you can drop the truck off the night before and be present when they start it so you can point out the noise.

-Rod

Quick Reply: 2017 Durango Front End Noise