3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Old 03-03-2019, 11:48 PM
Mel74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member

Hello all. I own a 2011 Dodge Durango Crew. I totally screwed up today and tried to jump start my son's Challenger and misconnected my positive to the fuse box instead of the positive post near windshield... . The cables we're pulled and the handles touched! Durango died. Literally no power anywhere.
Read some sites talking about battery fuse, but literally cannot find any info. Are there any smart folks on here willing to raise my spirits and give me some positive advice please? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:42 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check all you fuses first. If they are good, you may need a new battery. Hopefully you didn't fry anything. My Father-In-Law used one of those 50amp packs to jump his wife's Vette and shorted out the gauge cluster. Cost him $230 for a rebuilt one. Expensive lesson to learn..

Old 03-04-2019, 11:51 AM
Mel74

Thank you ZEN357.

I’ve finally stumbled on another post that fits my problem exactly, unfortunately it’s from 2012 and there was no follow up for what the gentleman did. So.... I’m reading more on a post that’s on justanswer.com that shows how to get to the fuse area for the battery. It’s under the positive post under the hood. It looks relatively easy to get to but my daughter came home from Korea and insisted on getting my nails done.....aaargh! So I’ll wait for a friend to wake and help me take this piece apart so I can look at the fuses there. See if those are blown.... crossing pretty fingers. If so, I’ll call dealership to get the parts/fuses I need and see if it starts. All other fuses seem to be good.

I’ll never make this mistake again!!! If it all works out, I’ll try to post pics if I can for others just in case. Such secret squirrel stuff on this topic and impossible to even find info about the fuses for the battery in manuals or anywhere else.

Thanks for your reply!

Last edited by Mel74; 03-04-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:01 PM
Mel74

This is part #68089468AA . It cost me $60.00 from the dealership. When the jumper cables handles touched and the Durango died, it was the battery fuse, 150 amp, that fried. It's located directly under the + post for jump starting the vehicle . Use 13 mm and 10 mm sockets and a flat head to push clips.
Originally Posted by Mel74
Thank you ZEN357.

I’ve finally stumbled on another post that fits my problem exactly, unfortunately it’s from 2012 and there was no follow up for what the gentleman did. So.... I’m reading more on a post that’s on justanswer.com that shows how to get to the fuse area for the battery. It’s under the positive post under the hood. It looks relatively easy to get to but my daughter came home from Korea and insisted on getting my nails done.....aaargh! So I’ll wait for a friend to wake and help me take this piece apart so I can look at the fuses there. See if those are blown.... crossing pretty fingers. If so, I’ll call dealership to get the parts/fuses I need and see if it starts. All other fuses seem to be good.

I’ll never make this mistake again!!! If it all works out, I’ll try to post pics if I can for others just in case. Such secret squirrel stuff on this topic and impossible to even find info about the fuses for the battery in manuals or anywhere else.

Thanks for your reply!

Old 03-06-2019, 07:00 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mel74

This is part #68089468AA . It cost me $60.00 from the dealership. When the jumper cables handles touched and the Durango died, it was the battery fuse, 150 amp, that fried. It's located directly under the + post for jump starting the vehicle . Use 13 mm and 10 mm sockets and a flat head to push clips.

looks like it did its job, and saved the rest of your durango from being shorted out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Member