3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Damaged key message

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 03:36 PM
JuddStewart839
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged key message

Ok, i have tried to search for this, but it only lets me search for "damaged" and not key so i get way too many threads to search through. SO, please forgive me if this has been beaten to death already.

But,

My wife's 13 Durango crew has had a history of issues with key fobs. Always seemed to be battery related, but the key could be sitting in the cup holder and it says key not detected. New batteries seemed to resolve that after about the third time of trying new and different batteries.

Recently, she started it and drove a few miles to pick up my daughter, then went to the grocery store. Without shutting it off, leaving the key in the durango, she ran in to the store and my daughter stayed in the car. after she shut the door to get out, it said key not detected, but it was still sitting in the cup holder. She came back and it still said key not detected when she got back in to go. I'm not sure if she shut it off or if it shut itself off, i seem to think she said it shut itself off. When she went to restart, no go. kept saying key not detected. she popped the cap out of the button and tried the fob in the key hole and it said damaged key. So she had to call my other daughter to bring her spare key in to town and that key worked fine and has so far. What would cause it to happen when she shut the door to get out, without turning the car off, with out locking, without doing anything?

Any thoughts as i hate to spend the money on replacing either the WIN module or the key fob if there is something else to look for.

Thanks!

This option is really a PITA.

Quick Reply: Damaged key message