3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

TIPM Recall - Failing again (2012 Durango)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 08:19 AM
OrlandoDurango
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIPM Recall - Failing again (2012 Durango)

I had the TIPM replaced years ago per the recall on my 2012 durango and over the past month it's been showing symptoms of the failure again - random problems starting and yesterday it stalled while driving without any code.

Anyone have a second TIPM replaced after the recall repair? Did Dodge cover it under the recall?

Old 06-17-2020, 08:54 PM
OrlandoDurango
Amateur

Super late followup to this, It was the external relay they added as part of the recall. I ended up just buying a whole bunch of fuel relays (G8JN series for me) and I keep them in the glove box to replace them when they fail.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:37 AM
DDCREW
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another recall for the fuel pump relay was issued in November 2019. FCA stated they had no new parts yet for this recall, then the pandemic hit and things stalled. See the NHTSA attachment. I received the recall letter but no follow up that parts are available.

Attached Files
Old 07-31-2020, 09:33 AM
VenomR/T
Amateur

My 2012 is starting to have the fuel pump relay issue again, it was "fixed" once already.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:18 AM
OrlandoDurango
Amateur

Originally Posted by VenomR/T
My 2012 is starting to have the fuel pump relay issue again, it was "fixed" once already.
This is what I bought. If you open the hood you should see the relay is now mounted externally near the fuse box. Wiggle the old one out of the socket and put in a new one. I keep a spare in my glove box now just in case it fails again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072WJHS6P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072WJHS6P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 08-03-2020, 08:38 AM
VenomR/T
Amateur
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OrlandoDurango
This is what I bought. If you open the hood you should see the relay is now mounted externally near the fuse box. Wiggle the old one out of the socket and put in a new one. I keep a spare in my glove box now just in case it fails again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, I placed my order

Old 08-11-2020, 02:58 PM
VenomR/T
Amateur

So I replaced the relay with the new one from Amazon and there was no change, it was cranking and cranking to get started, its a lot harder to start after the engine is hot. Anyway, after taking a 20 minute drive and returning home, I shut it off and tried to start it again, it barely started, shut it off and tried to start it again, it wouldn't turn over, it stopped cranking all together then there was bad smell and the starter died. Had to tow to dealer $90 and $580 to replace it. They said it wasn't linked to the TIPM recall.

Quick Reply: TIPM Recall - Failing again (2012 Durango)