3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2018 Durango GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 09:34 PM
Linds44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Durango GT

My check engine light came on.. 3 mechanics indicated it was my PCM. When I brought it into an actual dodge dealership they stated my 2 camshafts are completely gone. Non existent. I have 80k miles on it. They quoted me 11k to do a full replace on a motor and I had the vehicle for not even 3 years.. has anyone had any issues this dramatic??

Old 03-25-2021, 11:43 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

If you took it to 3 shops then the dealer, I assume you were driving it and not having it towed. An engine won't run if the camshafts are completely gone as in nonexistent, so I'd not trust that dealership. Plus, the V6 has 4 cams, and the V8 has 1 cam, so...

Do you have the code? If so post it, if not go to a parts store like Auto Zone and have them read the code. Post the code (or codes) here and we can get you a little more help.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:16 PM
Linds44

There are multiple codes listed on this sheet.. sorry it’s upside down

Old 03-26-2021, 02:17 PM
Linds44

I have the 3.6 motor.. the guy told me the shafts were gone however when I just got the paperwork it doesn’t say that.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:37 PM
Vimes
Veteran

Imprecise language on their behalf, more like. That document changes my mind about the dealer's competence. 4MM worn off the cams is pretty severe. From the document, you're going to need the cams replaced, and when you're that deep in you may as well have the engine rebuilt. Costwise, it'll probably be a bit cheaper to replace the engine with a long block than anything else. Next expensive would be cam replacement, then most expensive would be on-site rebuild mainly due to labor charges. They can slap a long block in in a day, but the rest will take a couple of days for them to complete. You don't have to have the dealer do it, any engine shop that offers installation can do it. Make sure it's documented that the rebuild they install has all new parts.

What kind of oil did you use, and how long between changes? When you get it back, I'd suggest using Quaker State full synth for oil changes, Wix filters, and no more than 5K miles or 1 year between changes, whichever comes first. And, every few oil changes, add a bottle of ZDDP additive to the oil. It adds zinc, which will help the cams last longer. Roller cams aren't supposed to need it because the lifters roll on the cam instead of sliding on the cam, but there's been enough cams wiped on rollers that I think it's worthwhile insurance.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:40 PM
Linds44

I found a used engine with 6k miles on it from AAA.. I can purchase an extended warranty for 3 years on the engine. I found somebody that can swap out my engine. I use 0w oil I believe.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:23 AM
Vimes
Veteran

Cool. Good luck with it. Quaker State makes a full synth 0W20, that and the ZDDP will keep this from happening again.

Incidentally, the ZDDP I'd use regardless of oil brands, because the latest formulations have pretty much eliminated zinc from all brands. No idea what the effect would be on emissions if you're tested either, I don't live in an emissions test area and it's unlikely I ever will.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:34 PM
DDCREW
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why would the V6, which is supposedly a very robust engine, need a rebuild after only 80K miles? If all maintenance and fluids were performed according to the user manual and the engine failed so early, FCA (Stellantis) should help you cover the costs of replacing the engine. I would complain to the area manager and escalate from there if necessary.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:07 PM
Linds44

I’ve been trying to research to see who I can connect with to see if dodge would be willing to help with the cost of the engine. 80k isn’t a severe amount of miles on an engine. Frustrating to say the least

Quick Reply: 2018 Durango GT