3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Power liftgate slams violently

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 01:01 AM
Stephanie M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power liftgate slams violently

Hi all, hoping you could give me some insight on an issue. I have a 2011 Dodge Durango Crew. For some reason, if I attempt to open the liftgate remotely, it won’t open. I can open it by hand, in which it will open all the way, but then the liftgate slams shut violently on its own. I mean, HARD. To keep it open you would have to hold it open with two arms and all your might or it will slam down and crush you. I have never seen anything like this. Is there any way to disable the power on the liftgate until I can take it in to the dealer? If this came down on a child or elderly person it would certainly kill them, that is how forceful the liftgate closes. Thank you.

Old 04-03-2021, 05:46 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Sounds like the power liftgate motor has failed. That would be the large shaft on the driver side of the liftgate. You can look up part number 04589427AF to see if it's the correct one for your Durango. Do you hear any motor noises when you try to get it to raise itself?

I wouldn't worry about disabling the power to it before going to get it fixed. Anyone able to open it at all is going to be able to hold it, and anyone who can't hold it won't be able to get it open.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:41 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I suspect the liftgate gas struts are bad. I don't recall if there is one on the driver's side or if that one is integrated in to the lift motorized lift arm. I'd certainly look in to replacing the gas struts first as those are what assist you or the power motor in opening the liftgate and keep it open.

-Rod

Quick Reply: Power liftgate slams violently