3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

ODB2 scanner not working with my vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 06:11 PM
Fatjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ODB2 scanner not working with my vehicle

I have two OBD2 scanners and neither is working with my 2015 Durango. They are both low end scanners that cost less than $30 but I have never had an issue with using them to scan other vehicles. When I plug either one into the port on my Durango, they light up and the screen displays the menu so it is not a power issue. I get an error saying it cannot communicate with the vehicle. I took my truck to the local auto parts store to see if they were able to scan it. They had no problem and they were able to pull the codes easily. Of course their scanner was a more expensive one than I have but could that really be the issue? Has anyone else had an issue using a low end scanner with their Durango?

Old 03-01-2023, 12:15 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The inexpensive scan tool/code reader could be the issue if it is not CAN-compatible, or if it does not support the OBDII protocol used by your 2015 Durango. Your 2015 probably uses a high-speed bus too, and that could be another issue with your inexpensive devices.

-Rod

Old 03-01-2023, 09:58 AM
fatjr12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that it is OBD2 compliant but I do not know if it is CAN compatible or if it is high speed bus compatible. I will have to check.

Old 03-01-2023, 02:35 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

There are multiple communication protocols that are still OBDII compliant, but may be newer than your tool is built to support. Since the parts stores have been able to successfully interface with the CAN-bus you at least know that it's possible and not an issue with the vehicle.

In 2018 FCA started using Security Gateway Modules that really limit the tools that are able to communicate with many of the modules on the bus. I don't think they rolled it out earlier though on the Durangos.

-Rod

Quick Reply: ODB2 scanner not working with my vehicle