3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Loss of power steering and brake assist with engine running

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 04:35 PM
1bbdurango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power steering and brake assist with engine running

I have searched but found nothing similar, my vehicle is a 2011 Citadel AWD, V8 145k miles. Today my wife was driving and pulled into a right-turn lane, the FCW failure light came, as she slowed to make the turn the steering became hard to turn and the brake pedal became extremely hard to push, she was able to pull off safely. She called me from the car with it still running and the steering and brake assist were inop, I asked her to shut the car off and restart it which she did but it would not start, the dash lights lit up but nothing happened (my wife thought she heard a beep and my daughter a hiss from the engine?). I arrived about 20 minutes later and the car started right up, everything was working properly, I followed her home and later took a drive again with no issues. The fluid in the reservoir was above the minimum level, the belt was in place and in good shape, and the battery was at 12.9v (off) and is about 6 months old, but will have it tested tomorrow. The FCW will occasionally fault but clears itself, usually at the same spot during the drive home, and once in the rain.

A similar starting issue happened to me the other day. I got in to start the vehicle and nothing happened, the dash lights came on, but nothing from the starter. When I went to release the brake it sounded like the starter began to engage and then stopped. Additional attempts to start did not work, shifted the vehicle out and back to park, accessory/ run/ off modes, and finally I opened the door to turn the power off and the vehicle started like it should. Likely looking at 2 separate issues but if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts I would appreciate your input.
Just made a second trip of about 30 miles with several starts and stops and no issues.

Quick Reply: Loss of power steering and brake assist with engine running