DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-general-discussion-non-tech-147/)
-   -   Ceramic Brake Pads (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-general-discussion-non-tech/104087-ceramic-brake-pads.html)

silverblue1989 04-29-2007 12:20 AM

Ceramic Brake Pads

I understand the ceramic pads reduce dust and stop better. Looking for opinions on the best brand of pad out there. I have an 04 quad cab 4x4 that is used primarily for pleasure driving.

schmedly 04-29-2007 02:50 AM

RE: Ceramic Brake Pads

Raybestos makes pretty good mainstream automotive brake parts. I have had ceramics several times and I like them a lot. They stop better than OEM, less dust and are much quieter. I have never had this problem, but from what I have read, if towing heavy and run into severe braking situations like long downhill grades, that they can fade faster than semi-metalic. I have towed my boat thru the mountains without any problems on several occasions.

Duso02 04-30-2007 12:45 AM

Go with Hawk pads with Powerslot rotors, a proven combo for our trucks that work. Just search the forum.

nvisciani 05-03-2007 11:59 PM

Just replaced my 04' QC brakes - Autozone had Morse Ceramic padsand replacement rotors - got everything for about $200. easy install andstops nice. Rims are much cleaner after a 100 mile daily round trip for work...

clintmiester2 05-04-2007 12:49 AM

I work at Napa and our ceramic pads are really good, i havnt had to replace the pads on my truck in a while, but i put them on my sisters truck and she likes them a lot.

blacktop 03-24-2009 02:10 PM

I'd like to add to this old thread. I recently put on Autozone duralast gold C-Max brake pads on the front of my 2005 QC. I sanded the rotors and after a 100+ mile brake-in period I can say the initial bite is just about the same maybe a little better, but with harder foot pressure it definitely stops better. I do notice if I ride the brakes down long hills they do fade a little though. I didn't touch the back brakes yet. It would probably grab even better if I do the backs and new rotors all around. To top it off the brake pads have a lifetime warranty. When the wear out the pads you just bring them back to Autozone for new ones. There probably are better pads out there, but I'm happy with my purchase.

talon6 03-24-2009 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by clintmiester2 (Post 787396)
I work at Napa and our ceramic pads are really good, i havnt had to replace the pads on my truck in a while, but i put them on my sisters truck and she likes them a lot.

+2 on the napa. i have drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads from napa and they are better than the stock setup. havent had any issues.

Heavy_Sack 03-24-2009 08:36 PM

had ceramic ones on my Monte Carlo SS she'd stop on a dime! never tried on the truck yet

SeVeReDiStOrTiOn 03-24-2009 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Duso02 (Post 782033)
Go with Hawk pads with Powerslot rotors, a proven combo for our trucks that work. Just search the forum.

+1 Hawks bite hard

dirtydog 03-24-2009 10:43 PM

Ceramics are a little harsh on the rotors and tens to heat them up and warp. They are good for dustless applications. Most manufactures install Ceramic pads right from the factory. I prefer Hawks Carbon ferro pads. pricey, but unmatched by the competition. No dust, no heat build-up. Gentle on rotrs. They are the best of both worlds, but yet pricey at $100 or so a pair.