3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

need to improve gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:37 PM
scooper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yep, I've posted that site on here a few times. Gotta agree with you, I get about 2 mpg better fuel economy with 100% gas over E10. Although I have to disagree with one thing, even flex fuel Rams suffer about the same losses with E10 as non-flex fuel trucks in my experience.

I'm amazed I can't find a station with it up near the farm in south Georgia where there are a good many small independent stations. Closest one I've found is 38 miles away, making it almost impossible to get it when I'm up at the farm. Thankfully that one station is in a town I pass thru to get to the farm.

While I'm in Florida, there are two stations near me. One about 2 miles and the other about 12. The bi*ch here is the one 2 miles away doesn't take credit cards (or debit or ATM or whatever). Strictly a cash shop and with the price of gas nowadays, I never carry that kind of cash for a $75+ fill-up. I have to consciously remember to hit the bank for cash which is a PIA cause it's about 6 miles in the other direction. The plus is the guy tends to be 2-5 cents cheaper per gallon with his 93 octane than all the "chain" stations with their E10.

Because of the inconvenience, I find myself saying f*ck it once in a while and filling up with E10 at another station, just to get pissed off when I average 2-2.5 mpg less...
That sucks you don't have any closer. I have one right on my route twice a week, and that's right about when I need to fill up. I have another at a marina, but they say they have pumps for vehicles. My gut tells me it's gonna be pricey cuz that's where all the yacht's and sport fisherman boats fill up.

I saved the link to pure-gas.org on my phone and it works with google maps, so if I'm ever out of the area I can find the closest city to me with 100% and pull it up on the maps.

I just bought a K&N air filter today and dropped it in when I got home. I hope that helps with the mpg a little too. I read a lot of good things about them.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, till I started using 100% gas, I was doing the TCW3 trick to the E10 and after the first couple tanks, I got the 2 mpg back, but now that I'm using primarily pure gas when I can, I stopped using the TCW3.

The K&N drop in is a good addition, will flow a little bit better and as long as it's properly oiled, will filter better than a stock paper filter, but I doubt it'll do enough to see a difference at the pump. Probably more like 10ths of a mpg gain...

Old 06-01-2011, 06:31 AM
scooper

I don't want to mess with the TC-W3. My '08 has lifetime powertrain, and I also bought a Chrysler lifetime unlimited mileage bumper to bumper warranty. I have to make sure I don't void any of the warranties.

I spent $3K on the extra warranty because I bought the '08 when the '09's were trying to get pushed off the lot for the soon to arrive '10's. It was still brand new with 34 miles on it. Gas was climbing and no one wanted it. Sticker price was $35,500. They gave it to me for $22,700. With the warranty and brand new, I got it for less than used ones were selling at Carmax and other online dealers.

Pardon my ignorance, but where do I oil the K&N, and with what?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:49 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by scooper
I don't want to mess with the TC-W3. My '08 has lifetime powertrain, and I also bought a Chrysler lifetime unlimited mileage bumper to bumper warranty. I have to make sure I don't void any of the warranties.

I spent $3K on the extra warranty because I bought the '08 when the '09's were trying to get pushed off the lot for the soon to arrive '10's. It was still brand new with 34 miles on it. Gas was climbing and no one wanted it. Sticker price was $35,500. They gave it to me for $22,700. With the warranty and brand new, I got it for less than used ones were selling at Carmax and other online dealers.

Pardon my ignorance, but where do I oil the K&N, and with what?
There is no reason for the TCW3 with 100% real gas, but I think it does do good with E10, gives some of the lubrication back that the alcohol steals. Lot of debate on the use, but it's made to burn in gas in two strokes. I ran it for a couple of years and my plugs never looked the least bit fouled. I could count on losing 2 mpg by the 2nd full tank of E10 without the TCW3, never tried it in 100% gas, but I don't think you'd see the benefit you see with E10.

Besides, my 7/70 powertrain warranty just expired, and with the mods I've done, I pretty much killed it before the end of '05 anyway.

I got a cousin in upstate NY bought him a brand spankin' new '08 1500 ThunderRoad QCSB 4x4 Hemi when the '09s started rolling in. Stickered for just under $44k and he ended up paying just over $24k for it. Dealers 'round these parts were offering a 50% off sticker on every left-over '08 at one point back then. I even went to look into a CTD, but of course, 2500s were exempt.

You don't have to worry about oiling your filter for a while. They come pre-oiled and recommended maintenance is cleaning and re-oiling at 25k miles. I do mine about every 15k but mainly because the truck only gets about 8k miles a year, a lot on red clay, dusty, dirt roads. I don't really let it go much more than two years without a re-charge.
The re-charge kits are available anywhere that sells the filters. Comes with one bottle of cleaner and one bottle of oil. Price is in the $10 range and it should get you thru two cleanings/oilings...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-01-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to hijack thread, but how can we tell if it is 100% and not E10, I tried reading everything on the pump and nothing said E10 or pure 100% or anything

Old 06-01-2011, 02:56 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Government regulation says the pump MUST be labeled as containing ethanol. However, take a glass jar, full it 1/2 with fuel and take a marker and draw a line at the top of the fuel level. The add 1/4 of water and shake a lot. Ethanol will bind with the water so when it settles and separates, if there is ethanol the fuel will no longer be at the line drawn earlier

Old 06-01-2011, 03:17 PM
wolf22m
Rookie

Bought my '03 Ram 4.7L with the 5 speed auto and it said the average on the computer was 11.1mpg. Did a full tune up with iridium plugs, new pullies, tuner (87 tune), cleaned throttle body, PCV, and idle control, and replaced throttle posistion sensor because it was idling rough. It now gets 14 mpg consistent in town and 18-19 on the Hwy not towing and on flat interstate.

PS- People claim on here that the E-Fan will net you 1-2 MPG. I have not swapped over yet though so I can't say for sure.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:09 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Government regulation says the pump MUST be labeled as containing ethanol.
Not completely true, it varies state to state, at least according to this...
http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_gu...anol_laws.html

But I guess I will try your suggested test method...Thanks

Old 06-01-2011, 07:22 PM
scooper

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
There is no reason for the TCW3 with 100% real gas, but I think it does do good with E10, gives some of the lubrication back that the alcohol steals. Lot of debate on the use, but it's made to burn in gas in two strokes. I ran it for a couple of years and my plugs never looked the least bit fouled. I could count on losing 2 mpg by the 2nd full tank of E10 without the TCW3, never tried it in 100% gas, but I don't think you'd see the benefit you see with E10.

Besides, my 7/70 powertrain warranty just expired, and with the mods I've done, I pretty much killed it before the end of '05 anyway.

I got a cousin in upstate NY bought him a brand spankin' new '08 1500 ThunderRoad QCSB 4x4 Hemi when the '09s started rolling in. Stickered for just under $44k and he ended up paying just over $24k for it. Dealers 'round these parts were offering a 50% off sticker on every left-over '08 at one point back then. I even went to look into a CTD, but of course, 2500s were exempt.

You don't have to worry about oiling your filter for a while. They come pre-oiled and recommended maintenance is cleaning and re-oiling at 25k miles. I do mine about every 15k but mainly because the truck only gets about 8k miles a year, a lot on red clay, dusty, dirt roads. I don't really let it go much more than two years without a re-charge.
The re-charge kits are available anywhere that sells the filters. Comes with one bottle of cleaner and one bottle of oil. Price is in the $10 range and it should get you thru two cleanings/oilings...
I guess I posted too early in the morning. I wasn't thinking of trying the TCW3 with 100% gas. I just didn't want to try it if I had to use E10.

That's a heck of a deal your cousin got. It sure pays to look for a year old new truck when you need one.

Thanks for the info on oiling the filter. I drive 24K a year, but all city on clean roads. I should be fine for a while.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:58 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy1981
Not completely true, it varies state to state, at least according to this...
http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_gu...anol_laws.html

But I guess I will try your suggested test method...Thanks
Sorry for my inaccuracy. Whats funny is ive read that site many times and thats where i got that "test" from. LOL

Quick Reply: need to improve gas mileage