3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

87 octane in HEMI = Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Ram4Rich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run 89 with no issues.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Wanderer
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Wow, in my area 89 octane is either 15 or 20 cents higher than 87 octane and premium will run between 25 & 30 cents higher than 87.

I just filled up with 93 octane (SC Performance Tune) after work this evening because I'm heading up to the farm in Georgia straight from work tomorrow for my 4 day weekend. Paid $3.32 for 93 octane E10 and yup, added 2 oz of Star Tron to it...
You're doing good on price, in my neighborhood 87 goes for 3.23 to 3.29. In the county seat, Morristown prices still average 3.50+.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:27 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

that is an extremely good price compared to what we pay here. price is suppose to drop down to $4.39 tomorrow but it was $4.54 today.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:40 AM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

Ive noticed that here in Hawaii gas prices are like $4.5-$4.6. Back home I pay about $3.89-$3.91

Old 06-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Five.SevenRAM
Veteran

i live in upstate ny and the gap between 87 and 89 is around 14 cents. not too bad. im def not using 87 anymore from reading all these posts. i didnt do it really that much before i read it but now i will never run 87 in it again.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtydog
That's why I didn't understand. Your logic is backwards.
Did you read what I posted? A higher Octane that you purchase from the gas station can no way in hell be bad for your engine. Higher octane can only do good. Whether it's needed or not is another thing. In the Hemi's case...89 should be the lowest anyone is running. Now if your solely a highway driver and on flat level ground and don't bog the engine down, 87 is do-able.

Here's a quick lesson... The Northstar engine GM produced for the Cadillac's requires 91octane. if you put 93octane you cannot do any harm to the engine. if you put in 87 or 89 octane you will damage the engine. octane is a one way streak. You can always go up, but you can never go down. Hope this helps.
Anyone can run 87 octane as long as the engine doesnt detonate on 87. No harm will come from using 87 in a vehicle made to run on 87. I've run my 06 hemi to 106,000 miles on 87 with never a trip to the garage, and never had a check engine light because of it. If your vehicle is made for 87, your wasting your money running anything else. Hi test gas will only make a difference if the vehicle is made for it. As for the comment about the northstar being damaged by 87 or 89 octane, I doubt very much that damage would occur under normal use. If used like a race car, then possibly detonation might occur. With the low compression vehicles of today, many will run on a lower octane fuel than recommended. I'm not saying that you should do that, just that under normal operation many will run fine with little or no damage at all

Old 06-29-2012, 04:05 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if the higher octane gas is ethanol free like here then there is a point in running it. most people see about a 2mpg increase when they run ethanol free gas which if you do the math will save you more money per tank than running 87 with the 10% ethanol.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
if the higher octane gas is ethanol free like here then there is a point in running it. most people see about a 2mpg increase when they run ethanol free gas which if you do the math will save you more money per tank than running 87 with the 10% ethanol.

I dont doubt you. but it seems rather strange that if you have ethanol free gas, it only comes in high test. I've been told by my brother-in-law, who works for Marathon Oil Company that there is no such thing as ethanol-free pump gas in the USA, but I have no idea about Canada. People advertise such, but he says it all comes out of the same truck, and it all has ethanol, and I really doubt a 1-2 mpg increase just by switching from 10% ethanol gas to an ethanol free gas, or 10% ethanol gas, unless you were switching from E-85 to any regular gas, then I could see that much savings or possibly more. Don't believe that just because somebody advertises ethanol free gas, that is what you are going to get, Good post though, and I can see your rational

Old 07-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Five.SevenRAM
Veteran

theres a local gas station company here in upstate NY called Fastrac and theyre now selling 91 octane non-ethanol gas. havent tried it or heard anything about it yet but my next tank might be just that.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:58 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ethanol free gas, or recreational gas as it is known, will absolutely increase your mileage.. I could see 1~2MPG's in most engines being the norm..

recreational gas has another benefit- it doesn't burn as hot.. for this reason and this reason alone, you may be able to get by with 87 rather than 89 or 91.. that same cooler burning also gives a little boost to power generated.. running cooler is beneficial to disallowing pre-detonation..

there is high octane recreation fuel.. blue fuel, as it's called, is used on tracks all over the country.. it is generally 108 equiv octane, and ethanol free.. Living on the coast, I can buy 86 through 93 octane recreational ethanol free gas at a lot of places..

the only time you're wasting your money with fuel is when you're using a higher octane than is needed to eliminate pre-detonation.. If you can run 87 and get by with it, go for it.. if you have to run 89 to eliminate the opportunities, do that.. if 89 gets the job done, and you're running 93- you're wasting $$..

the simplest rule is: higher compression needs higher test.. it's pretty much that simple.

Quick Reply: 87 octane in HEMI = Trouble