3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Are HID's legal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:10 AM
matt1048
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are HID's legal?

I was following a thread about HID's. One guy suggested that some people say the HID's are illegal. I asked why in the tread, but got no reply. So, here's my question: Why would HID's be illegal in my 2003 Ram? Anyone have any problems with police after they are installed? Also, what is "scatter" when talking about HIDs? I'd like to do this MOD, but don't want to get any tickets out of it. I did a searce on the legality of the HIDs, but did not have any luck. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

The only reason i could see for hids being illegal is if you installed some that were extremely bright and caused blinding of other drivers.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional

Scatter is what you'll find in every single Ram on this board with HID's. Sorry guys, I had to.

Scatter is a result of putting HID's in a non-projector housing. The stock housing, is a non-projector.

Putting HID's in a non-factory equipped vehicle is illegal by federal DOT laws. Most localities don't have laws covering them because of the federal law, this is also the reason why most don't enforce it much either. If you do it correctly and use a projector housing, you have nothing to worry about.

If you throw HID's in a stock housing, you're defeating their purpose and wasting money. Just buy KC's or PIAA's if you want tons of light with no reguard for blinding drivers.

This is proper HID cut-off

This is scatter

Last edited by Rebeltilldeath3; 08-03-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:47 AM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

Make sure your headlights are aimed at the ROAD and not at my eyes or the trees above my head and your ok, if you want to know if their legal or illegal in your state go to your state's DMV website, they may have restrictions on certain temps.

Last edited by 02Steve1990; 08-03-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Bigc9164
Veteran

in California you cant have anything higher than 6k

Old 08-03-2009, 01:03 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had my mom drive towards me to see if she could be blinded and said it was just fine and didnt get blinded.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Steve1990
Make sure your headlights are aimed at the ROAD and not at my eyes or the trees above my head and your ok, if you want to know if their legal or illegal in your state go to your state's DMV website, they may have restrictions on certain temps.

HID bulbs are illegal in every state in the US for ALL vehicles that don't come equipped from the factory with them. Unfortunately it's not a Law that is enforced enough. I have very sensitive eyes and can pick out HID's in Halogen housings a mile a way.

For EX. Every Ram owner to even put projector headlights along with HID's are illegal even though the projector housing is the correct way.

HID bulbs in stock housings even turned downwards still has alomst 10X the scatter as a hologen bulb so you will still be very bright to oncoming cars.
Will you get pulled over?? You could. You could get a ticket, or you could drive for a few years and not get any tickets. If your local Inspector looks at your lights, you may be SOL.

Now, Rebel stated it best! No need to go further. Here's a link to a well written HID page

Old 08-03-2009, 01:19 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with keeping them aimed at the road and it is a good idea of having someone you are driving towards tell you if they give them any issues. However, projectors are the way to go and Rebel does an excellent job of showing why.

If you are interested in doing a retrofit with projectors and HIDs, let me know.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:22 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Dog, I feel an arguement coming on......

[Subject change] No seriously, if you really do some reading on why projectors are used and how they work and see what they do, you will understand more.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:41 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Dog, I feel an arguement coming on......

[Subject change] No seriously, if you really do some reading on why projectors are used and how they work and see what they do, you will understand more.

No, no weed you don't....lmao

Everyone needs to click on my link as posted above

Quick Reply: Are HID's legal?