3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Pentastar V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:22 AM
mudkicker78
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doesnt matter anyhow, if you can find a shift kit, if they were mated to V8's it shouldnt be a problem, other wise theres not enough torque to change what trans chrysler might think of. the 4.7 puts out currently 235 hp at 5200 RPM and 295 Ft LB torque at 4800 rpm, forgive me if the rpm's arent right on. Although the Pentistar 3.6 Ltr. will boast 280 ish HP, it has kinda low torque rating of 260, I have always thought you need more torque than HP, thats why those old slant 6's and inline 6's the old trucks and jeeps had were such good workhorse engines. I am however shocked that chrysler won't be putting these directly into new Ram's right away, but I applaud Chrysler for delaying the Jeep Aplication to make sure all the quirks are worked out. American companies have a tendancy to try untested product out on the general customer base before wondering why they are losing it. Another thing that worries me is the Ford Mustang in 2011 will be boasting it's new V6 that will surely find it's way into Ford trucks, 300 HP and 285 Ft Lb Torque, hate to bring up ford in a Dodge Forum, but don't you think Chrysler can match that before mods?

Old 10-28-2010, 01:32 AM
xanadu62
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually got the build sheet on my truck, and (to my great disappointment) it has a 42rle behind it. I personally think that this is one of the WORST transmissions that Dodge has ever built. Just because it CAN shift doesn't mean that it SHOULD! I swear that it forgets that it has certain gears just to **** me off and get worse gas mileage and performance. The really sad part though, it the simple fact that the current 3.7 V6 is TOTALLY CAPABLE OF MAKING 300HP with only minimal to no mechanical changes AT ALL! With a perfect tune and premium fuel, I'm willing to bet that this motor can easily make 300+ in both HP and torque. A Nissan VG30DE in the 1993 300zx was a 3.0L V6 DOHC motor that still made 240HP and similar torque. And that was with cast iron internals and old technology. You would figure that someone could figure SOMETHING out in 17 years of R&D with the use of modern materials and manufacturing processes. I'm just sayin'....

Old 10-28-2010, 08:09 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You are hitting all the old threads today arent you?

I would never own a truck with a v6.....never.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:24 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm straying a bit here, but dodge v/6 began life as a 318 - 2 cylinders, so for todays engines, why not remove 2 cy from the 5.7 hemi?

And whay did the 4.9 stright 6 ever go away, for power and torque, you can't beat a stright 6. Gas v/6 are not worth considering, thier still going to use the same if not more flue than a v/8.

for a pick up, a stright six gas or diesel powerd with a man. transmisson is the only chioce for light duty trucks.

Quick Reply: Pentastar V6