3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Looking into dual batteries/ need some info

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:58 AM
Senomar_DTK
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Looking into dual batteries/ need some info

I been thinking about running two batteries for awhile now and I want to get to know more about what would have to be done in order to accomplish this.

The main reason behind a second battery is for hooking all my aftermarket stuff to (lights,CB, and other things I would use)

I tried searching on here for info but could not find much, except that I would need a battery isolator, and I'm not completely sure what that does.

Has anyone done this and what all would I have to do and get for the two batteries installed and working properly without them failing or whatever?

Thanks guys

Old 08-21-2010, 07:14 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I have dual batteries. Because I no longer have the OEM air filter setup but a CAI I bought a passenger side battery tray from a CTD board and put another battery over there. SO overall I have two 1000 CA batteries.

As for the battery isolator, it is a device that separates the batteries when the key is off but connects them when the key is on.

This way when the key is off you can run whatever you want off one battery and keep the other full charged so when you need to crank your truck you can. But when the key is on and both batteries are connected, the alt is able to charge them both.

I have a drivers side battery tray if you want it and would like to add it some where.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Senomar_DTK
Professional

Thanks Weed, Now I'm just looking where I could put another battery, since I have a K&N on the space is limited. I will have to figure out how I'm gonna do this.

Now when I'm able to get around to it should I get a battery that is the same as the one I have now? If that's the case I will probably just buy two new batteries.

Also how hard is it to hook the batteries to each other and with the isolator and what all would I do?

Old 08-21-2010, 03:47 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Its not hard connecting the batteries to the isolator. There are usually three terminals. One is a small one for the keyed 12v and the other two are larger ones that each one of the (+) side of the battery connect to. The unit itself is usually metal and when you secure it to the frame it is grounded. If not, then you will need to ground the unit.

When I did mine I was doing my Big 3 upgrade at the same time and because I didnt buy enough compression lugs I didnt bother to put in my isolator. So I have two of them sitting here if you need one.

On top of that, from my alt the wire goes to the (+) side of one battery and from that (+) battery it goes to the (+) of the 2nd battery. Obviously both batteries are grounded. You can it like that and same time and money but if you are powering something with the key off you will pull from both batteries. However, Im ran mine for a A LONG time and never pulled them down.

Ultimately, its up to you.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I would go with an isolator. I have a dual battery setup in my truck for my sound system. I also have a power inverter run from that battery too. I will say that it is so nice not having to worry about leaving things on. I realize that it sometimes take a LONG time to kill two batteries. But its still nice to know that even if i go somewhere for a week and think if i left my inverter on or something. I will still be able to start my truck.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:30 PM
jose13b
Veteran

am going two batts thanks too weedahoe

Quick Reply: Looking into dual batteries/ need some info