3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

HAHA beat a CUMMINS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 02:38 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well my dad has a 3500 CTD and that thing can roll...... but like said before diesels arent made for speed, made for straight power, now slap some 40's on the diesel then some 40s on your hemi, and see who wins then haha but congrats on the win!

Last edited by hoss67; 09-25-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:50 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by PhotogTom
That's fast for any vehicle! I don't think I'll ever see that out of my shortbed Hemi, or my pocket-rocket ricer. I'd be happy to be in the 14's, though I'm not there yet. Not even on my way yet.
Its not that hard to get down to the low 14's... Just gotta get the $$$ to do it. Im shooting for mid to high 13's when all is said and done this year..

For the OP - Diesels are are quick, but with the right programer and even a few minor upgrades they are damn fast.

from another site:
Superchips would like to announce their release of a new Cummins Racing product for 2007-09 2500 and 3500 Ram pickups.

The Superchips Dodge Racing Diesel tuner (Part Number 3856) is the newest diesel performance racing tuner with Redline pumping power levels available.

This racing tuner is designed exclusively for hardcore racing environments on vehicles with modified free-flowing exhaust systems including drag racing, sled pulling, rock crawling and closed course road & trail racing.

The Dodge Racing Diesel tuner is easy to use and includes up to four (4) power levels and one extreme race tune that require activation through Superchips.com.

Level 1 increases power by +25HP and +50 ft/lb TQ to the rear wheels
Level 2 increases power by +32HP and +88 ft/lb TQ to the rear wheels
Level 3 increases power by +71HP and +164 ft/lb TQ to the rear wheels
Level 4 increases power by +136HP and +299 ft/lb TQ to the rear wheels
Level 5 or "Redline" tune** increases power by +181HP and +422 ft/lb TQ to the rear wheels

** Available for purchase separately through internet update

Additional featured specific to the racing programmer:

- Diesel particulate Filter (DPF) management (on/off)
- Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) management (on/off)

Features commonly seen in our emissions legal programmers that are a carry over to the racing programmer*:

- Speed limiter adjustment
- Rev limiter adjustment
- Diagnostic trouble code (read & clear)
- Real time performance monitoring for over 20 PIDs
- ¼ mile and lap timing

* Features vary depending on OEM build configuration.

Superchips Racing performance programmers also come with a rugged carry case with Superchips Racing logo and an exclusive vehicle badge.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:14 PM
PhotogTom
Veteran

Originally Posted by truckin151
Its not that hard to get down to the low 14's... Just gotta get the $$$ to do it. Im shooting for mid to high 13's when all is said and done this year..
Ahh, the eternal lubricant - money.

Actually, I'm planning on gears and an LSD, a superchips tuner, and long-tube headers with an aftermarket dual exhaust. Not convinced on the CAI - I haven't seen any hard data outside of the manufacturer's claims that says it does anything. Sure, it'll breath more freely at 5000-6000 RPM, but most of my driving is in the 2000-3000 RPM range and I don't want to sacrifice that for top end.

I'm not really looking for a 14-second truck (though I wouldn't throw one out of the garage either), but I'd be happy with a little more acceleration and a lot more driveability. As it stands now, the truck is too inclined to lug the engine in the taller gears. That's a bit of a problem in this hilly terrain, or when towing. I think that a 4.10 or even 4.56 gear will take care of that problem.

Now, my little Honda rice-rocket - yes, that would be appropriate for some 13.8 second capability (it handles like a skateboard). It can be done also, but again with some money. The Si that I have is pretty highly tuned already, but there are a lot of things that can be done to squeeze out a few extra ponies and widen that torque curve. 20 HP makes a significant difference on a 2700 pound car.

I'm truly blessed to have two well-performing vehicles as it is.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:05 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by PhotogTom
Ahh, the eternal lubricant - money.

Actually, I'm planning on gears and an LSD, a superchips tuner, and long-tube headers with an aftermarket dual exhaust. Not convinced on the CAI - I haven't seen any hard data outside of the manufacturer's claims that says it does anything. Sure, it'll breath more freely at 5000-6000 RPM, but most of my driving is in the 2000-3000 RPM range and I don't want to sacrifice that for top end.

I'm not really looking for a 14-second truck (though I wouldn't throw one out of the garage either), but I'd be happy with a little more acceleration and a lot more driveability. As it stands now, the truck is too inclined to lug the engine in the taller gears. That's a bit of a problem in this hilly terrain, or when towing. I think that a 4.10 or even 4.56 gear will take care of that problem.

Now, my little Honda rice-rocket - yes, that would be appropriate for some 13.8 second capability (it handles like a skateboard). It can be done also, but again with some money. The Si that I have is pretty highly tuned already, but there are a lot of things that can be done to squeeze out a few extra ponies and widen that torque curve. 20 HP makes a significant difference on a 2700 pound car.

I'm truly blessed to have two well-performing vehicles as it is.
Dont dismiss the CAI just yet, if you decide to throw a cam in there you'll need it to pull more air in, but you can always just make one yourself if you dont wat to drop the $$$ on one. The name brands are a little inflated as far as pricing goes. That bein said sh*tter pipe is still sh*tter pipe at the end of the day.

Should look into a ported TB and the CAI at the same time, it'll make stomping on it from a stop really interesting and a bit more peppy all around. The gears, go with a 4.56 and dont think twice about it. You'll be kicking yourself otherwise if you dont. Other than that and a 180* to go with your LT's you should be well in the 14's if you can get the rear tires to stick.... but thats a whole nother mess of parts

Old 09-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Matt99
Champion

diesels are very fast, i dont know what your talking about

my friend has a 2010 duramax and as we were passing someone he punched it at around 50 and spun the tires....he has a programmer, exhaust and a CAI and can beat my ls1 corvette

Old 09-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy1981
Diesels aren't very fast
Huh??

Old 09-26-2010, 03:03 PM
rocket23
Champion

Add a ford ranger to my kill list, just the other day, I toasted one, cruising 65 in a 55 and this a$$hole wants to pass me on the right. not happening, I hate being passed just to put on my brakes later cuz the idiot who passes me can't/won't keep his foot in it.... Nice kill with the hemi....op.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Matt99
Champion

Originally Posted by rocket23
Add a ford ranger to my kill list, just the other day, I toasted one, cruising 65 in a 55 and this a$$hole wants to pass me on the right. not happening, I hate being passed just to put on my brakes later cuz the idiot who passes me can't/won't keep his foot in it.... Nice kill with the hemi....op.
thats like saying you stepped on a bug...lol a 4 banger or 6?

Old 09-26-2010, 04:55 PM
rocket23
Champion

V-6 slt version, Lol ,bug, heh heh. kill is a kill. even if it is murder.lol.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:59 PM
PhotogTom
Veteran

Originally Posted by truckin151
Dont dismiss the CAI just yet, if you decide to throw a cam in there you'll need it to pull more air in, but you can always just make one yourself if you dont wat to drop the $$$ on one. The name brands are a little inflated as far as pricing goes. That bein said sh*tter pipe is still sh*tter pipe at the end of the day.
I keep my mind open on that one. I'm not really wanting to put in a cam - that's getting in a little too deep.

What about this "HEMI hat" that people keep talking about. Any pictures of it? What are the restrictions involved? Anything a sawzall could fix?

Should look into a ported TB and the CAI at the same time, it'll make stomping on it from a stop really interesting and a bit more peppy all around. The gears, go with a 4.56 and dont think twice about it. You'll be kicking yourself otherwise if you dont. Other than that and a 180* to go with your LT's you should be well in the 14's if you can get the rear tires to stick.... but thats a whole nother mess of parts
I'm starting to lean towards 4.56. I don't do much highway driving with it, so I'm not too worried about lumbering around at 1600 RPM, and in fact, if I'm towing, I don't really want to be lumbering around at 1600 RPM anyway.

I've got some ballast I can throw into the back if I need to - about 500 pounds of iron plates! Actually, if I put the lid back on the bed, it adds about 50 pounds. The wood toolbox goes all the way in the back and weighs around 40-50 pounds also. I can add weight easily in there bacause it's pretty well locked in place. Shouldn't take much with an LSD to get a decent launch.

Quick Reply: HAHA beat a CUMMINS!