3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New to the fourm just got a TRX4

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:07 PM
ttrap84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the fourm just got a TRX4

Hi there i just picked up a 2007 ram hemi quad cab TRX4 and loving it, actually traded in my 2006 grand cherokee limited with quadradrive 2 for this truck.

I do have one question I tried a search but I really need a answer asap as I have to call the dealer today to tell them the size i want. my stock tires are 275/70R17 and I was wondering if I can go 285/70R17 there seems to be more tire choices in that size, I was mostly thinking goodyear silent armor are the duratrac or possibaly the bfg at. I need a at or mt that is severe winter rated for Quebec winter. any suggestions would be very helpful.

this fourm is awsome and I have been reading through it the last few days trying to get some ideas for mods to do to my new ride.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:54 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to DF.
Try looking in the FAQ section for lots of commonly used Mods including tires and sizes.

To answer your actual question...
285/70/17 will be 10mm or 1cm wider and 70% of that 1cm taller, so 10mm wider and 7mm taller. Not much of a difference really.

My father had the Silent Armors and they were a bit rough riding and semed to get noisier as they wore down. My friend has the Duratracs and he seems to really like them.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:59 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

285s should fit. Im running 325s.

Welcome to the board BTW.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:09 PM
NHHEMI
Professional

Originally Posted by ttrap84
Hi there i just picked up a 2007 ram hemi quad cab TRX4 and loving it, actually traded in my 2006 grand cherokee limited with quadradrive 2 for this truck.

I do have one question I tried a search but I really need a answer asap as I have to call the dealer today to tell them the size i want. my stock tires are 275/70R17 and I was wondering if I can go 285/70R17 there seems to be more tire choices in that size, I was mostly thinking goodyear silent armor are the duratrac or possibaly the bfg at. I need a at or mt that is severe winter rated for Quebec winter. any suggestions would be very helpful.

this fourm is awsome and I have been reading through it the last few days trying to get some ideas for mods to do to my new ride.
285/70-17 has an overall diameter of 32.70". The OE 275/60-20 tires are 32.99". So the 285's will fit just fine. Actually, they are probably the most popular upsize for people with 17's that want something a little bigger without going crazy. That size is also very popular as a 17" replacement for the 20's as they are so close in size.

I suggest you check out the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo or the new Revo2 or the Dueler AT D695( not quite as aggressive as the other 2 but a lot less money and a great tire ). They are all excellent tires in the snow but they have civilized manners for daily on road/dry road use. They give a good ride and they last a long time as well.

Revo2 & Revo:

D695:

Last edited by NHHEMI; 10-13-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:30 PM
DodgEclectic
Amateur

Welcome! the best thing about this site is there are plenty of nice trucks and people to bounce ideas off! good choice with upping the tire size! stock just doesn't cut it...

Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 PM
DodgEclectic
Amateur

Originally Posted by NHHEMI
285/70-17 has an overall diameter of 32.70". The OE 275/60-20 tires are 32.99". So the 285's will fit just fine. Actually, they are probably the most popular upsize for people with 17's that want something a little bigger without going crazy. That size is also very popular as a 17" replacement for the 20's as they are so close in size.

I suggest you check out the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo or the new Revo2 or the Dueler AT D695( not quite as aggressive as the other 2 but a lot less money and a great tire ). They are all excellent tires in the snow but they have civilized manners for daily on road/dry road use. They give a good ride and they last a long time as well.

Revo2 & Revo:

D695:
Sweet! thanks for the tire info. I am going to remember those for when i get my summer set put on

Old 10-14-2010, 02:05 AM
ttrap84

Thanks for all the help guys, unfortunatly thanks to Quebec winter tire law I will only look at at or mt tires with the mountain snowflake. I have spent hours just reading up on all the great info on here the last few days, I am loving the new truck every day was sad to see the jeep go it hade some cool things like elsd front and rear it is basicly electronic limited slip/LOCKING diff and some other cool stuff but all that stuff will break someday and I didn't want to be the poor ba$terd payin' for it, becides the truck is way bigger and simple I don't even think it has abs...

Old 10-14-2010, 07:33 AM
NHHEMI
Professional

OP;

You can use any tire with AT( all terrain )in the name, among other designations, even if it does not have the Mountain/Snowflake symbol until 2014. The Revo/Revo2/D695 all have AT in the name and are excellent snow performers. By 2014 you will need new tires anyway if the vehicle is used year round so I would not get hung up on getting a tire with the Mountain/Snowflake as you have a loop hole to get out of that for the next 4 years.

There are a very limited number of AT tires that actually carry that symbol at this time and I would not use but 2 of them( BFG and General ). The BF Goodrich All Terrain TA K/O has the symbol you want in some sizes and is a very good AT tire but the Revo line and D695 tires outperform it in the snow for considerably less money. The General Grabber AT2 is ok but I would put some AS( all season )tires up against it in the snow. I could care less if it has that symbol they are average at best in the snow and they don't last.

I thought the US government was the only ones that come up with these STUPID laws. They have allowed for LT tires to qualify under the exemption yet that has NOTHING to do whatsoever with a tire's bad weather performance. There are LT tires out there that are slippery on dry bare roads never mind in the snow. I read something about Oregon in the US considering a similar law. Better not hit my state. Why politicians think they can fix every problem with a law is beyond me?

A Highway Safety Code regulation passed September 17, 2008 for Quebec, Canada, stipulates that:

"Between 15 December to 15 March, the owner of a taxi or passenger vehicle registered in Quebec may not put the vehicle into operation unless it is equipped with tires specifically designed for winter driving, in compliance with the standards prescribed by government regulation. The prohibition also applies to any person renting out passenger vehicles not equipped with that type of tires."

While dedicated winter/snow tires bearing the mountain/snowflake symbol are available in sizes for most passenger cars and minivans, the wide range of sizes and load ranges for tires used on crossover vehicles, sport utility vehicles, pickup trucks and full size vans encouraged Quebec to temporarily expand its definition of acceptable tires to implement this law.
Alternate tires not bearing the mountain/snowflake symbol which have one or more of the following terms branded in their tire name or tire size are temporarily acceptable: Alaska, Arctic, A/T or AT Blizzard, Ice, LT, Nordic, Snow (but not mud and snow), Stud, Ultratraction or Winter.

While the inclusion of LT in this list means that any LT-metric, Flotation LT or LT-numeric sized tire is acceptable, drivers facing challenging winter driving will be best served by selecting dedicated winter/snow tires, followed by On-/Off-Road All-Terrain or Commercial Traction tires.
Starting December 15, 2014, the Highway Safety Code regulation specifies only tires bearing the mountain/snowflake symbol will be considered acceptable winter/snow tires in Quebec.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:06 PM
ttrap84

Stupid Quebec law!

I must of missed that whole 2014 loophole so I guess I have much more options now.

Quick Reply: New to the fourm just got a TRX4