3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Want to buy a camper/toy hauler what size is ideal for the hemi 3:92?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Smokedlights
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to buy a camper/toy hauler what size is ideal for the hemi 3:92?

first of all, i have a 6x12 simple enclosed trailer, and i use to have a trailblazer, i thought for sure when i got the dodge i wouldnt even feel the thing, but i def feel it and i get HORRIBLE gas mileage (9-10mpg, going 60-65?) This thing cannot weigh more then 2000 lbs loaded up with both of my quads. I do not get it, i got better gas mileage towing it with my lil v6 trailblazer. Anyway I want to soon start getting something else, im thinking 18-22 foot toy hauler? What weights should i be looking at? I usually will be towing (2-4 quads probably) About 400 lbs a piece. I have an 03 Ram W/Hemi 3:92 limited slip diff. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Old 11-14-2010, 04:12 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, it's like a large wall back there. Your trailblazer has different aerodynamocs than the open bed of a pick-up truck. if your looking at another trailer you should seriously consider a V-nosed trailer. You will surely see an inccreased mileage with on of those over a flat front trailer. That has much more to do with your mileage than the actual weight.

3:92's are good with stock sized tires as long as you are using the O/D off or Tow haul modes??

Old 11-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Smokedlights
Rookie

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Well, it's like a large wall back there. Your trailblazer has different aerodynamocs than the open bed of a pick-up truck. if your looking at another trailer you should seriously consider a V-nosed trailer. You will surely see an inccreased mileage with on of those over a flat front trailer. That has much more to do with your mileage than the actual weight.

3:92's are good with stock sized tires as long as you are using the O/D off or Tow haul modes??
I have the sport model with the 20's as well. Thats another thing the o/d on/off I turn it on and it seems like im working the engine pretty good? It stays around 3-3200 rpm if i remember right and sounds like its howling pretty good? Is this normal

Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Smokedlights
Rookie

what weight should i be looking for in a camper? I found a 21' carson toy hauler for a pretty good deal, they said its 7000lbs "loaded up"

Old 11-15-2010, 09:53 PM
ZmanTRX4
Professional

7000 lbs will be fine with your truck as long as it has brakes and you have a brake controller. Stopping the weight is more what you have to think about. These trucks will pull quite a bit of weight as long as you go easy on it. On my 22 ft steel car hauler with an 06 mustang gt and full truck bed/trailer of race gear and my truck pulls it like a champ. I was actually pretty surprised since I downgraded from a cummins with the 6 speed. With my Prodigy brake controller it stopped it well too. I used the tow/haul mode and I only ran 2000 rpms on the interstate running 70mph. After a 1.5 hour drive to Gateway IRW and another 1.5 hour drive home I averaged 12 mpg. Almost all interstate driving and that was hand calculated.

Quick Reply: Want to buy a camper/toy hauler what size is ideal for the hemi 3:92?