3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

My tire review...General Grabber AT2

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:44 AM
B-radical
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My tire review...General Grabber AT2

Little background, decided to mount up some "winter" tires on my stock 17's for the winter season, and decided to go with an AT tire, as at my house, at 3300ft, it's always crappy, but at work, it doesn't do a damn thing. I should note these are 265/70/17's

After a lot of searching around, idecided to go with the General Grabber AT2's. Granted thsi is my first set of AT tires period, I figured upon mounting them that they would be loud, well, they're not. Nothing close to what I expected, i'm sure they will get louder over time though. No real vibration issues until you hit 70mph, then you can start to feel them, but I generally dont drive that fast anyway. The tires have about 1k miles ont hem, and don't show any wear on them.

Well, this morning was their first "test" in the bad weather white stuff. They did freaking awesome! My truck is an 04 ram 1500 qc 4x4, with no weight in the rear. All day yesterday it poured the rain, and last night it snowed. Figured I was in for a fun ride cause all the rain froze, so it was a good 2" of snow on top of ice. When there wasn't snow, it was just ice/slush.

I didn't have to use the 4x4 a single time, even upon accelerating the truck didn't spin, granted I wasn't flooring it, but taking my time. Over the mountain just fine, and down the other side just fine as well.

I've taken them offroad at my property and they do great there as well. I'm really happy with them so far, and can't beat the price. A buddy hooked me up at $110 a tire mounted. They do great in the rain as well. Anything I have thrown at them so far, they've handled with ease. Really nice tire for the money.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Grabber+AT+2#

I didn't order them from tirerack, but there they are on that site so you can see them.

Now someone buy my aftermarket 20's so I can rock these year round

Last edited by B-radical; 12-01-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Slava
Veteran

Thank you for sharing this information with us but

Old 12-01-2010, 10:19 AM
B-radical
Professional

lmao, knew that was coming, so I put a tire rack link in there :lol: If you want pics of them on the actual truck, I don't have any....well, I have one I took when I was taking pics of my other wheels for sale, I leaned them up on the drivers side of the truck,a nd you can see the drivers rear tire sticking up, that's all. haha

I'll have to snap some and add some it seems I will this weekend

Old 12-01-2010, 10:07 PM
03celicagts
Professional

I ran the grabber at2 on my 06 f250. Also ran bgf a/t on that truck before I got the generals put on. Very similar characteristics between the two tires. even the tread patterns look very similar. Good tires id def recommend them to anyone that needs an all round tire.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:38 AM
B-radical
Professional

To touch a little more on the review.....we got about 6" of snow last night, and with it all blowing around,t here were some pretty gnarly drifts out there this am.

To say I am pleased with these tires is an understatement. No weight in the back of the truck, and I didn't touch 4wd ONE time. 2wd the whole 40 mile commute into work, like a champ.

I dropped it off at the shop this am to get the EGR valve replaced....I'd do it myself, but frankly just don't have the time with an 8 mo old and lots to do before Christmas. Can't afford to be left stranded in the cold with my son, so they are just going to fix it for me. I'll snap some pics when I pick it up, I freaking love them!!!!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:18 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Damn, EGR is a $33 part at auto parts store and maybe a 10 minute swap (2 screws) . I'll bet dealer nails you $70ish for the part and an hour for the labor.

Generals have always been a very good tire at a decent price...

Old 12-06-2010, 10:02 AM
B-radical
Professional

They are doing it for $50 installed. Plus, it's 18* out, with 6-7 inches of snow, so i'll let them do it. haha

The guy has been working on my vehicles for years. just a little hole in the wall place, but it's the best around.

Last edited by B-radical; 12-06-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:23 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That's actually not bad, I thiught by "shop" you were referring to the stealership where you woulda been nailed for around two and a half times that...

Old 12-06-2010, 11:18 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Excellent tire on a Jeep, before we moved out of NY I was going to get a set for winter tires on the Ram.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:56 PM
mjleedle

The AT2 is the tire I am sticking with. Dropped 3mpg from the stock Road tires, but they stick to anything, and I have 62k on the set with just under 1/2 the tread height left. The stock tires only lasted 56k before I had to change them.

Quick Reply: My tire review...General Grabber AT2