3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bad gas mileage in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Blacksport
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad gas mileage in cold weather

As the title says, I'm experiencing bad gas mileage in the cold weather. I know most vehicles get worse mileage in the winter months, but I went from around 15-16 in the warmer months, down to about 10! Is that normal, or should I be looking at something else? I appreciate any responses.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Slava
Veteran

Sounds too much. I changed tires to winter tires and with winter gas went down from 16 mpg to 13 mpg.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:06 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Are you using the OHD to calculate or using your mileage and gallons used on paper and dividing?

Old 12-23-2010, 03:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, 5 to 6 is a little much, but not out of the realm of possibility. Winter blend gas hurts as does the cold weather which has the PCM richening the mixture. Add a CAI to the mix and it will hurt a smidge as well. Hot air into the throttle body yields less power but better fuel economy and cold air does the opposite.
Three to four is the norm, so you ain't drastically off.

I just saw you have a power wire also. That's probably where your difference is coming from. It fools the PCM into thinking it's colder than it really is...

Old 12-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Blacksport
Captain

I'm just using the OHC, which probably isn't too accurate. I didn't really think of the CAI or Power Wire...makes sense. So I'm probably within the norm. Thanks guys! Maybe I'll disconnect the power wire and see if my MPG improves.

Quick Reply: Bad gas mileage in cold weather