3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 AM
bigdaddyII
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Janowicz

If i can't get a good paint job at a reasonable price, then i'll sell/trade it in and get some other make.........I know you guys are loyal Dodge fans, but with my paint job, and some of the other things i wouldn't purchase another Dodge ever.......
Just an objective opinion/ experience. The environment the vehicle may have been subjected to may have a lot of influence on how well the paint lasts. Being an 02, and just paid off I will assume you aren't the original owner, and possibly unaware of what conditions the truck lived in, or even if it was washed regularly with its previous owner.

My Ram is an 02 as well. The paint is in great condition, aside from the scratches and dents, the integrity of the paint itself is near perfect. On the other hand, we also own an 05 F-150, whose paint is fading badly on the hood and roofline and will likely need a repaint in the next year or two. I met the previous owner of this truck who drove it to work at a chemical plant daily, so who knows what may have been on the paint. Just an example that it may not be the truck itself, or make of truck.

The only major manufacturor I can make a profile on for paint issues is GM. It seems to have gotten better in recent years but almost every 90s model GM car, truck, or van that I see is missing paint everywhere. Just my $0.02 and observations. Good luck in what you decide.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:58 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've gotta agree with daddy. For the very few who have paint issues I've gotta say it's an environment or care issue.

I bought my truck in the spring of '04, it's sat OUTSIDE in either south Georgia or central Florida sun it's entire life and my paint is about perfect.

I had a limb fall on the hood of my truck while out hunting two seasons ago. I bought a hood scoop to hide the dent that I couldn't pop all the way out. The scoop was painted at the place of purchase with the factory color paint. Upon installing it on my truck I cannot tell any difference between the hood paint that's been in the sun for seven years or the recently painted scoop...

Name:  0226001724b.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  91.4 KB

Last edited by HammerZ71; 01-04-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Question?