3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Seamless hood scoop pix

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:21 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt99
I dunno. Seems like you could cover that better w another product
Once I really clean it up, with proper sanding and polish, It'll be as close as I can get. The trouble is the two different materials. I couldn't use bondo or plastic filler cuz the hood would expand and contract at a different rate then the scoop. Allowing cracks too form. Also, there is the vibration alone. I was given fiberglass resin as an option as well, but I doubt that would work. So I screwed around with the rtv. Now that it is trimmed, I like it better than the 1/4 inch seam that wrapped around it. Time will tell, Less of course ya got any ideas' I know you you do!!lol Your a master at finding stuff that works. imo.

Last edited by rocket23; 01-05-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:25 PM
runvs
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idk wtf you were thinking !!! that stuff is to seal a engine not a hood scoop seam on PAINT NO LESS come on just go get the scoop modeled in or get a srt10 hood man....dont mess up a pretty truck. JUST my 2 cents......

That will be all...

Old 01-05-2011, 04:36 PM
rocket23
Champion

Originally Posted by runvs
idk wtf you were thinking !!!/ that stuff is to seal a engine / just go get the scoop modeled in or get a srt10 hood man....dont mess up a pretty truck.
Ru, I was trying too mod a aftermarket scoop with what I have available, at the moment. I know what rtv is, and I also have a ""lets see if this will work'' mind set. I plan on getting a oem hood, When I get some money. Till and if, that happens, this is what it is. I get plenty of compliments too off set the two , thats right, two negative comments. that I have recieved on 5 different forums btw. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:47 PM
RF FTW

What is that on the top of the scoop in the last of the new pics? Is that a big imperfection in the paint?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Matt99
Champion

yea i mean, i like it but I will have to see it after you are done. I know rtv dulls up, gets kinda brownish and ***** up after awhile and I see that happening pretty quick on a hood if its not in a garage.

you could use resin to get it on, but Im kinda like you on the expansion between two materials. You would jank up your hood with most materials that are hard.

the main thing is that the edges are rounded i think. I wonder what it would look like if you it with a dremel to a point, like a sharp almost cut you point, and then rtv under it like a gasket when you put it on. THEN when it pushes out, run around it w your finger. Where you arnt using rtv to fill a huge gap.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:18 PM
rocket23
Champion

This oughta do the trick, I just need paint now.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:47 PM
RF FTW

That looks better. Glad to hear you like my name .

Quick Reply: Seamless hood scoop pix