3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Leveling kit or new springs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011 | 07:55 PM
99ramman
|
Rookie
Default Leveling kit or new springs.

So I know what I need as far as height, just trying to decide on new springs or just the leveling kit. I plow snow with this truck as well so new HD springs would be nice. Cost would be more tho too. What kits have you 2500 guys had luck with for both springs and kits? Has anyone had problems with the kit's they purchaced.

Old 01-10-2011 | 10:29 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

I have just a simple 2" steel spacer with no issues. It works, but I would rather have new springs... just didn't want to spend the extra money when I did it.

If I were you I would look into swapping in some springs from a cummins truck. They would definitely support a plow better... my old man has a v-blade on the front of his 07 3/4 ton hemi and it squats like crazy. The only thing I'm not sure about though is what type of added height you would gain. I doubt it would fully level your truck... but I'm not completely sure.

What type of added height are you looking for in the front? 2" leveled mine perfectly.

Old 01-10-2011 | 10:51 PM
96magnumram
Professional

Almost everyone with spacers that I have talked to wishes they opted for springs rather than the spacers.

Old 01-10-2011 | 11:10 PM
Matt99
Champion

I bet you could figure out a way to add helper air bags to the front of a SFA truck!

Old 01-11-2011 | 02:46 PM
99ramman
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by olyelr
I have just a simple 2" steel spacer with no issues. It works, but I would rather have new springs... just didn't want to spend the extra money when I did it.

If I were you I would look into swapping in some springs from a cummins truck. They would definitely support a plow better... my old man has a v-blade on the front of his 07 3/4 ton hemi and it squats like crazy. The only thing I'm not sure about though is what type of added height you would gain. I doubt it would fully level your truck... but I'm not completely sure.

What type of added height are you looking for in the front? 2" leveled mine perfectly.
I need 2in. I'm thinking springs. I need to get the running boards off, and decide what size tire to go with as well.

Old 01-11-2011 | 07:34 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 99ramman
I need 2in. I'm thinking springs. I need to get the running boards off, and decide what size tire to go with as well.

Take the running boards off? Is your seat ripped yet? Cause it will be from skidding in and out without those running boards. Trust me. I'll take those running boards off your hands for ya

As far as tires go, personally I will be going with 285's. I like the look of room in the wheel wells, plus I don't have the extra coin to change the gearing.

Old 01-11-2011 | 10:54 PM
JDG103
Veteran

IMO go with the spacers

Old 01-12-2011 | 01:38 AM
Marx
Record Breaker

ya spacers and helper bags in the front will keep'er level

Old 01-14-2011 | 10:12 PM
99ramman
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by olyelr
Take the running boards off? Is your seat ripped yet? Cause it will be from skidding in and out without those running boards. Trust me. I'll take those running boards off your hands for ya

As far as tires go, personally I will be going with 285's. I like the look of room in the wheel wells, plus I don't have the extra coin to change the gearing.
You sure can! I'm selling them!!

Quick Reply: Leveling kit or new springs.