3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Nitto Mud Grappler or Toyo Open Country Mt

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Jake283
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitto Mud Grappler or Toyo Open Country Mt

Im gonna be gettin some 35's and i was wonderin who had either nitto Mud grapplers or Toyo mt's, i like the look of both and would buy either but i just wanna see how many miles you guys are getting out of them.
Thanks

Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Mud Country = one of the best off-road tires on the market. Will outperform almost any tire except maybe the Mickey Baja Claw or the Super Swamper Bogger in the mud WHEN IT HAS TREAD. and hence the problem, it doesn't last long on pavement. It's also one of the loudest tires on the planet.

The Toyo is no slouch in the mud either, but not on par with the Grappler. It will however, last a lot longer, handle better and be quieter (although still by no means quiet) on pavement.

The Mud Grapp is also not the best hard packed snow or ice tire by a long shot.

Maybe look at the Nitto Trail Grappler, it's a little more aggressive than the Toyo but lasts longer and has better road manners than the Mud Grapp...

Old 01-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Jake283
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Mud Country = one of the best off-road tires on the market. Will outperform almost any tire except maybe the Mickey Baja Claw or the Super Swamper Bogger in the mud WHEN IT HAS TREAD. and hence the problem, it doesn't last long on pavement. It's also one of the loudest tires on the planet.

The Toyo is no slouch in the mud either, but not on par with the Grappler. It will however, last a lot longer, handle better and be quieter (although still by no means quiet) on pavement.

The Mud Grapp is also not the best hard packed snow or ice tire by a long shot.

Maybe look at the Nitto Trail Grappler, it's a little more aggressive than the Toyo but lasts longer and has better road manners than the Mud Grapp...

Well i was leaning a little bit more towards the toyo open country mts but i looked at the trail grapplers and i really like those too. But i really want the tire thats gonna last longer cause i mainly drive city.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Trade off between aggressive and MPG/long life is huge. It's almost impossible to have both, regardless of what anyone tells you.
About the best wearing mud tire I've seen is the Mickey MTZ, but you'll pay dearly for it, lot of technology in a that mud tire that wears very well and has really good pavement manners.
You'll see better life out of most A/Ts than M/Ts and better life out of a highway tread than an A/T.
Gotta figure out which is more important to you.

I've got a really good buddy with 80k miles + on his Mickey ATZs and another with 60k on his Nitto Terra Grapplers. After 30k miles my Dick Cepeks are barely showing signs of wear and they have fairly aggressive side biters with a tame center tread. Might be an A/T or hybrid tire is gonna balance a little aggressiveness with the long life you are wanting.

Seriously, I've got hunting buddies who swear by Nitto Mud Grapplers but acknowledge that they are lucky to get 25k out of a set...

Old 01-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm really liking my trail grapplers

Old 01-24-2011, 11:48 PM
DodgeRam10
Veteran

i got nitto mud grapplers on mine, work great, they were put on before i bought it but ive put 3500 miles on them mostly pavement and still look new

Old 01-25-2011, 12:33 AM
kicker417
Veteran

i put 42,350 miles on my nittos mudgrapplers they still had about 35%i sold them but i always kep them at 35 psi

Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 AM
dave-o
Veteran

i got pro comp xtreme mt that came with a 40k warranty. love em

Old 01-25-2011, 05:11 PM
terracedean
Rookie

pro comp x terrains are good on the road and mud plus they last a long time and they look good

Old 01-25-2011, 06:17 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I hadn't heard many bad reports about the Pro Comp "X" series tires, but man, the original A/Ts and M/Ts sucked *****. Pro Comp doesn't make anything with their brand on it, all of their stuff is contracted and re-branded. I think they got a new manufacturer for the "X" series...

Quick Reply: Nitto Mud Grappler or Toyo Open Country Mt