3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

OBD2 emissions testing

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:08 PM
the_ocho
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD2 emissions testing

I just moved to the Vegas area and I was wondering about the obd2 emissions testing they do here. so from what I read what they do is plug into the vehicle and see if there is any Mil codes and then they check The readiness monitors to ensure they are all ready more than 2 i believe it is that are not ready and you fail. So if I'm understanding this correct as long as the ECM in the truck thinks everything is good you will pass?

for example lets say I have one cat and its hollow, I do the spark plug defouler trick and computer doesn't throw a code. Everything else on the truck is good and readiness monitors set to ready. there's two of the three things right there I have no MIL and it will pass visual(should they decide to do it), But will the catalyst readiness monitor set? I think it would because as far as the ecm sees with the 2nd o2 sensor moved out, the cat is doing its job right or is it doing it just good enough to not throw a code but not good enough to be ready?

what do you guys think?

Old 02-03-2011, 04:18 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Hats how it is in az, all they do is plug up to the obdii port c
run their checks and off you go. As long as there is not codes or cels you pass. Cats no cats as long as there are no codes you are good.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:47 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Yep. Do a few highway runs and cruising to get monitors readiness set and head over there with a positive attitude lol. Speaking of which - does the scanners @ Autozone read emission monitors or no?

Old 02-04-2011, 02:24 AM
06 Ram5.7
Veteran

Originally Posted by truckin151
Hats how it is in az, all they do is plug up to the obdii port c
run their checks and off you go. As long as there is not codes or cels you pass. Cats no cats as long as there are no codes you are good.
Yeah, that’s how it is in CT. All they do is plug the emissions tester into the OBDII port, check for codes, and see whether the computer says everything is ok or not. The paper they give you with the test results (that needs to be left in the vehicle in CT) just lists a bunch of various engine parameters and it just says pass/fail, ready/not ready, on/off, applicable/NA, etc. Hell, they didn’t even really rev the engine, at least for me, the test speed showed 700 something RPM’s, which is barely above idle.

Quick Reply: OBD2 emissions testing