3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

1st time truck owner, 2002 Ram quad cab 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Robert95z
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time truck owner, 2002 Ram quad cab 4x4

So this is my first truck, its a 2002 ram 1500 quad cab 4x4. Leather int, heated seats.. overall pretty nice... it does a few problems and a few things I want. Maybe I can get some advice...

Problems:
-Check engine & slightly rough idle.. These 2 may be related I plan on getting the codes pulled this weekend.
- Gets stuck in 4x4 but releases if going in reverse a few feet, anything i can do about that?
- Tranny shifts very fast from 2-3, almost like it skips 2nd and goes to third
- A/C only works on high (found solution, blower resisitor)

Ok and things I want to do..
- HIDs (high quality kits, suggestions?)
- Exhaust, not looking to spend an arm and a leg on this one
- Taking dash apart. I want to hard wire my radar detector, anyone know a write up to take apart the dash to get me to some accessorie wires that are only powered when in the ON position.

Sorry if this isnt very neat, typing on my netbook and a pain in the butt to type on

Thanks
Robert

Old 02-17-2011, 07:42 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the third generation Ram section,
FF

Old 02-17-2011, 08:11 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the site.

First things first, stop by a local auto parts store and let them scan the truck for the CEL or DTC codes. Write them down and post them here for us so we can help you out

With it idling rough i would think the throttle body needs to be cleaned and maybe new spark plugs or other maintenance. Please see out FAQs HERE

As for HIDs, we have a HID vendor HERE

HERE is a good HID thread you may want to read over a few times.

As for the exh, you need to be more specific in what you are wanting or looking for.

As for the hard wiring of the radar detector, I would tap power off the cig lighter as it should be a switched power source

Old 02-17-2011, 07:58 PM
JDG103
Veteran

welcome to the site...well for your radar you dont need to take apart the dash, i hard wired mine to my cig. lighter wires...its very easy to do, all you need is some T-taps and some electrical tape. as far as the muffler goes, i have acherry bomb extreme and payed $60 for it on JEGS, then payed another $60 to have it installed. the big question is, is what kind of drive train do you have in your rig, sounds like you have the 5.9 V8 in it

Old 02-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Robert95z

So today is my day off and going to work on the truck. Ive already fixed the A/C problem, just had to replace the blower resisitor.

I had the computer scanned and it threw a couple codes, #1, #7 cyclinder misfires, then a code for multiple misfires.

I went and bought some plugs and wires from autozone so hopefully that fixes the problem. I noticed this 5.9L has a cap and rotor setup, I thought these were extinct and coil packs took over in the late 90's.. guess not.

How can I get to the cigarette lighter to run wires from my radar detector, through the dash and tap into the cig lighter?

Last edited by Robert95z; 02-19-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:52 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert95z
So today is my day off and going to work on the truck. Ive already fixed the A/C problem, just had to replace the blower resisitor.

I had the computer scanned and it threw a couple codes, #1, #7 cyclinder misfires, then a code for multiple misfires.

I went and bought some plugs and wires from autozone so hopefully that fixes the problem. I noticed this 5.9L has a cap and rotor setup, I thought these were extinct and coil packs took over in the late 90's.. guess not.

How can I get to the cigarette lighter to run wires from my radar detector, through the dash and tap into the cig lighter?
Pull the front of the dash console off that will reveal the wires behind it. Then use something like t-taps and insulated spade connectors to tap the wires

Old 02-21-2011, 10:31 PM
V10Venom
Captain

I ran my radar detector from the engine compartment fuses using the rise female the w/s wipers, no need to tear anything up.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:34 PM
V10Venom
Captain

Damn Droid keyboard, that meant to say fuses from the w/s wipers

Quick Reply: 1st time truck owner, 2002 Ram quad cab 4x4