3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

CAI question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:17 PM
ricer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI question

I want to install my own "poormans cai" with a 90 degree elbow,some flexible connections and straight pipe into the filter box but.... I believe there is a cold air sensor that plugs into the back of the "hat" right about where the flex pipe attatches to the hat and I don't know how the reattatch that to the pipe I am going to install. I am trying to do this on my own because I cannot justify spending $130.00 for a piece of rubber pipe from Airaid, not to mention that when I spoke to Airaid this evening to ask them how to reattatch it to the rubber pipe they wanted to sell me they told me it attatches to the engine not the intake set-up I have now, which it does not. Need some input on this problem, just about ready to say the heck with it and leave it the way it is. Just hate getting stumped by something and giving up.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:25 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

get you one from spectre on summit

Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the Intake Air Temperature sensor you'll need to make a hole for in your new tube. Do a search, there are a ton of good DIY CAI threads that explain exactly what you need to accomplish (instructions and pics).

Old 02-24-2011, 12:10 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Drill you a hole in the PVC and go buy you an assortment pack of rubber grommets for all of about $2.99 per 10 pack. Secure the grommet in with a touch of PVC cement and insert the sensor into the grommet as close to the stock location in relation to the throttle body as you can. Piece of cake...

Name:  0501001701.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  56.9 KB

You can do the same thing for the breather tube (as pictured in this one I made) if you choose not to put a separate filter on it...

Old 02-24-2011, 09:11 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

^^^ Agreed, this is what I do also. a single 1/2" drilled hole and some o-rings from Lowes in the plumbing section

Old 02-25-2011, 08:23 PM
ricer
Veteran
Default poormans cai update

I bit the bullet and put my "poormans cai" on tonight and it went pretty good. Worst trouble was ddrilling the hole and mounting the grommet for the air temp. sensor, but got 'er done and it don't look too shabby if I do say so myself. Only got one crappy cell phone picture but I will get better ones and post tomorrow.
CAI question-0225112006.jpg

Quick Reply: CAI question