3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need help with some stuff. Tranny fluid change, Tranny seal, and differential fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Smokedlights
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with some stuff. Tranny fluid change, Tranny seal, and differential fluid

I've been wanting to knock these things out for awhile for 1, Ive heard the dodge has two transmission filters? I can only find one perhaps its not on my transmission? I have the 5.7 Hemi, with the 5 speed auto i believe..

How much fluid does the tranny take, with pan drop and filter change?

I need to replace the seal on the back of the transmission, but I dont know much about it, or how to get the drive shaft off to get the seal off? It has a very slow drip out of it

Lastly, i need to do the differential fluid but not sure which fluid I need and again how much? I do believe i need the additive for lsd? As i believei have the 3:92 LSD

Any help, links, or advice is much appreciated i really want to get started on this stuff this week

Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The 545fre has two filters but you will not see either until you drop the oil pan as BOTH are inside the trans. One is flat and one is round. Changing JUST the oil in the pan is about 7qrts i think. Some guys like to add a oil pan drain bolt at the very lowest point in the pan to make future changes easier.

To get the drive shaft off you simply unbolt it at from the rear universal joints and then pull it out of the trans. They make a rear trans seal puller you can use to pull the seal out. It looks like this and you can get them at any auto parts store.

To put the seal back in you line it up with the trans end and use a big socket to fit over it and use a hammer to tap it back into place. If you get it crooked you will have to pull it out and start over.

As for the rear diff fluids, use 75-90 if you do not tow or pull anything or use 75-140 if you do pull or tow. You do need LSD friction modifier if you have a LSD. I think it is 3oz per qrt of oil and you need about 3qrts of rear diff oil. When you go to put the oil back in, be sure to put the additive in first and then the oil.

Be sure to check all of FAQs HERE

Old 02-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Smokedlights
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well just finished the rear end fluid, that will be a first and a last for me. It was pissing me off from start to finish, about 3 different trips to the store. A damn messy job, i thought tranny was bad. Also the rtv **** is a mess, and i hope i did it rght, i wouldnt be surprised if i blow my diff or have a leak. Ive taken out an engine and put it back before and this thing got on my nerves, they really need to start making gaskets for this ****

Old 02-26-2011, 08:01 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the diff fluid change a breeze. The tranny fluid replacement (drop 'n' drain with 7 quarts) was messy, but not too bad.

Quick Reply: Need help with some stuff. Tranny fluid change, Tranny seal, and differential fluid