3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What is the difference between a Power Wagon and a regular 2500??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you could do is find a set of axles (3/4 ton or 1 tons recommended), and build them as you get the money. Then, start buying material for suspension links and such, and maybe get everything figured out (measurement wise) and start building the links. Then, once you have those main components, start the tear down and rebuild.

I would also recommend snagging a tranny from a 3/4 ton as well.

Did I mention starting with a 2500 would be cheaper and more efficient?

Old 03-06-2011, 11:42 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by olyelr
Did I mention starting with a 2500 would be cheaper and more efficient?
Yup, sure did. I pretty much knew that from the get go as well, but trying to improvise. If I bought another truck the ol' lady would be mad cuz she wants a new car, and she has this misconception that I always get the new stuff. So if I used this truck, I am just accessorising, not buying another vehicle (in her eyes). Also, I am wondering now if I can just get elockers for my IFS axle. Don't have time to look now, gotta go to work to make this money I want to spend. Not asking anyone to do my research for me, but does anyone know off hand if such a thing exisits?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:33 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Nobopdy makes a locker for the front of your truck. Plus, big tires and a locker would be a recipe for a disaster with your IFS.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

For the money (and convenience)...a Power Wagon can not be matched!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:14 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

How much different is the frame between the 1500 and 2500? A friend of mine is an engineer at the Warren plant where the trucks are built and he says the 4th gen the frames are the same, they just have different suspension components...So if I were to put the Power Wagon front end and rear end on my truck, would it essentially be a 2500, or is the frame totally different on the 3rd gen?

Old 03-06-2011, 07:54 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would never buy a power wagon, aftermarket can build a better truck in a 1500 ram, The weaklist link in all 2500 Rams are the non service u joints that fail in a CTD and hemi 2500 Rams, For waht it is the power wagon is a utility 4wd built for the off road, for a every day driver the 456 gears and automtic are going to burry a owner in flue expenses, I used to have the opion solid axle trucks were the only way to go, but Dodge built axles don't inspire me.

285 70 17 is the standard tire size on the PW, My hemi 6 speed is awsome off road were space allows, I don't go rock crawling, but have gone places bury 1500 pickups.

I would prefer a jeep for hard core off road use over a power wagon, Jeep should throw in a hemi in a wrangler!!!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy1981
How much different is the frame between the 1500 and 2500? A friend of mine is an engineer at the Warren plant where the trucks are built and he says the 4th gen the frames are the same, they just have different suspension components...So if I were to put the Power Wagon front end and rear end on my truck, would it essentially be a 2500, or is the frame totally different on the 3rd gen?

You do know there is 3rd gen power wagons, right?

The half ton frames are different than the 3/4 ton and 1 tons. I dont know anything about the 4th gens.

You can swap the axles under your truck, but as I stated before, you will still have a weeker trans and t-case.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:59 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cyclone429
I would never buy a power wagon, aftermarket can build a better truck in a 1500 ram, The weaklist link in all 2500 Rams are the non service u joints that fail in a CTD and hemi 2500 Rams, For waht it is the power wagon is a utility 4wd built for the off road, for a every day driver the 456 gears and automtic are going to burry a owner in flue expenses, I used to have the opion solid axle trucks were the only way to go, but Dodge built axles don't inspire me.

285 70 17 is the standard tire size on the PW, My hemi 6 speed is awsome off road were space allows, I don't go rock crawling, but have gone places bury 1500 pickups.

I would prefer a jeep for hard core off road use over a power wagon, Jeep should throw in a hemi in a wrangler!!!
Make a half ton better than a power wagon? What do you consider better? By the time you upgrade everything to make it as stout as a power wagon (at least front and rear axles, trans, t-case), you could have simply bought a power wagon.

Of course, a stock Jeep will outwheel a well built fullsize anyday. But whats the point in that?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:04 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by olyelr
You do know there is 3rd gen power wagons, right?

The half ton frames are different than the 3/4 ton and 1 tons. I dont know anything about the 4th gens.

You can swap the axles under your truck, but as I stated before, you will still have a weeker trans and t-case.
I do know as of recently, but it wasn't until I saw the option on the 4th gen that I decided to google power wagon out of curiousity cuz I recalled an early 90's Power Wagon, and I recalled read an article some time ago about how OLD power wagons had basically a front hub wheel bearing between the front and rear of the frame for the "suspension travel"...so I wanted to know the history of the power wagon and found that they made them from 05-08 as well...which sucks cuz I def woulda wanted to buy one instead of my truck that I bought.

Swapping the axles under my truck, would that be relatively easy, aside from the suspension parts...I guess what I mean is, is there fabrication required? Not that I'm afraid to fab, just not sure I want to on this new of truck. As to weaker trans and t-case, I have the 150,000 powertrain warranty Other than that, like I said previously, this truck I wouldn't pound on cuz I am slowly building an all out off-road toy...so do you think the weaker trans and t-case would be a HUGE deal?? If nothing else if I do end up blowing either out, and warranty ends up not covering it, I could just replace with the 3/4 ton parts at that time, correct? I mean either that, or I'll have the 1/2 ton parts laying around still good, but not much good for anything to me.

I think this may be quite a fun project and a good learning experience so I have the ideas and what not when I get to the point to replicate the principle onto the 86 mudder...provided it will be slightly easy as in minimal to no fabrication.

If I were to find a basic 3/4 ton wreck or something for the axles and what not, are the internals reasonably available for the elockers in a Power Wagon? Or would it be worth the wait to find the parts from an actual power wagon??

Old 03-07-2011, 06:51 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy1981

Swapping the axles under my truck, would that be relatively easy, aside from the suspension parts...I guess what I mean is, is there fabrication required? Not that I'm afraid to fab, just not sure I want to on this new of truck. As to weaker trans and t-case, I have the 150,000 powertrain warranty Other than that, like I said previously, this truck I wouldn't pound on cuz I am slowly building an all out off-road toy...so do you think the weaker trans and t-case would be a HUGE deal?? If nothing else if I do end up blowing either out, and warranty ends up not covering it, I could just replace with the 3/4 ton parts at that time, correct? I mean either that, or I'll have the 1/2 ton parts laying around still good, but not much good for anything to me.

I think this may be quite a fun project and a good learning experience so I have the ideas and what not when I get to the point to replicate the principle onto the 86 mudder...provided it will be slightly easy as in minimal to no fabrication.

If I were to find a basic 3/4 ton wreck or something for the axles and what not, are the internals reasonably available for the elockers in a Power Wagon? Or would it be worth the wait to find the parts from an actual power wagon??

There will be a fair amount of fabricating to sling the front axle under your truck. Since it will all be custom, I would recommmend coils (or coil-overs) and links vs leaf springs... either way fabrication is required. The rear will be nearly a bolt in afair.

You can ony do the axles and use your stock drivetrain, as that would save you a lot of work. It all depends on how hard you are going to beat the thing. Warranty? Hahahahahahaahahah. You better have some really good buddy's high up at the dealer.

As far as the e-lockers go, to be completely honest with you I am not sure you can purchase the exact units as the power wagons come with. I always hear about how the jeep crowd can buy Rubicon axles for the jeep straight from mopar (which is set up like the power wagons, only smaller dana 44's), but I cant ever find power wagin axles (or the internals). But again, you dont NEED elockers for a mudder. Spools or lockers will work fine.

Quick Reply: What is the difference between a Power Wagon and a regular 2500??