3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You'd be surprised at how much wear and tear pulling a trailer will put on the front end, regardless of it being under the limit of the truck or not. Enclosed trailers are real bad as they just add crazy wind drag to the situation.

I pulled a bass boat over all of Georgia and into portions of Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina and Florida thru most of the '90s up until about 2003 on a good three weekends out of every four in a month. For a few years of that time I had a Ford diesel 4x4 and my boat had next to NO wind drag and was not much over 3500 lbs. with the 44 gallon fuel tank full and loaded with gear. I was forever having to deal with front end issues.

Just as bad with my 2nd Gen Ram which had a solid front axle. I got out of fishing tourneys not long after buying my 3rd Gen, plus my Rancho lift replaces a lot of front end parts with much larger, beefier parts, so I haven't had any real problems short of one tie rod end go out on me.

I grew up on a farm and I know how to pull a trailer, but there ain't much you can do about wear and tear from pulling a load, except to replace parts as they go and upgrading when you have to do so...

Old 03-18-2011, 07:48 PM
OICUDRIVE12
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soon as I bought my Ram I replaced the driver side hub. Heard alot of people say bad things about the front end of these trucks but I love'em and would rather spend a few hours wrenching than be caught in a Furd or Chevy.

Part of being a Dodge guy is what I account it too....also Weed is right you can save some big time bucks this way.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:05 AM
07hemi1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Understand completely about the towing and the wear and tear, thats why I extented the full warranty. I only put 3000 miles on it maybe 1500 to 1700 towing. Just alittle soon for all that to go wrong.

The only thing I ever drove before was a Ford, And now you couldn't pry me out of my Dodge Ram, even if it does have some issues. Thats why they make parts!

Thanks for the great site!!

Quick Reply: Front suspension