3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Spark plug cleaner from Harbor Freight??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:06 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark plug cleaner from Harbor Freight??

Has anyone thought about using this spark plug cleaner from Harbor Freight??

http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumat...ner-32860.html

At $18 on sale a lot for $14, and the 1 lb bag of media is $8...seems well worth it compared to $4 x 16 every 30,000 miles...even thought I have been naughty and at 73,000, haven't touched them yet...I was thinking about trying this out. I know the risks, a piece of media may get stuck in the plug, but it has an air only function on it as well, so I was thinking of using the blast function til it looks good, then run the air only, then bust out the blow gun, and dip it in the parts cleaners, and blow gun again, and the chances of anything still being in it should be quite slim.

So what do you guys think, worth it, or should I just cough up the money for brand new plugs every time??

Old 03-22-2011, 10:05 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

14+8=22

a new set of plugs is around $32

Ive got a blasting cabinet an a parts washer but would use either for plug tips.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:33 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
14+8=22

a new set of plugs is around $32

Ive got a blasting cabinet an a parts washer but would use either for plug tips.
Right, the first time is only $10 different...but the next time the $14 + $8 = $22 is already bought and paid for, so it'd be $0.00045 to run the compressor or $32 for new plugs. (edit) Also, the unit comes with probably enough media to do one round so it'd really be $14 or $32 for new plugs, then second time would be $8 for more media or $32 for new plugs, then the third time and how ever many times after that, that the 1lb bag lasts, is just the electricity for the compressor.

I assume you made a typo and mean you wouldn't use blast cabinet or parts washer...is there any particular reason. A little more detail would be nice to help me understand why this may not be a great idea. Thanks for the reply btw...obviously I am questioning this process, otherwise I would run out and bought it instead of posting

Last edited by HemiMoparGuy1981; 03-22-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, I would not use a blasting media or parts washer. Sry

Remember that plugs are a wearable item. Its not that they get fouled and need replacing, its that they wear down and need replacing.

Dont get me wrong, I love my blasting cabinet and part washer but $32 for new plugs every 30k isnt that bad of a deal to me.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:11 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Yeah, I would not use a blasting media or parts washer. Sry

Remember that plugs are a wearable item. Its not that they get fouled and need replacing, its that they wear down and need replacing.

Dont get me wrong, I love my blasting cabinet and part washer but $32 for new plugs every 30k isnt that bad of a deal to me.
Ahh, ok, I guess I didn't really realize that they start breaking down, and not just getting carbon buildup that needs removed. I guess, off I go to get some new plugs and scratch the idea of the cleaner...Thanks

Quick Reply: Spark plug cleaner from Harbor Freight??