3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ or Baja Claw Radials?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 PM
pousaan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ or Baja Claw Radials?

I am getting new rubber for my truck tomorrow and would like to know everyone's opinions on these tires (35x12.5x17)?

What kind of mileage out of each?

Road manner's?

Off-road capability?

Any help would be appreciated....

Old 04-26-2011, 09:16 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Right up my ally... I've owned three different sets of Mickey Thompson tires (and now one set of Dick Cepeks which are the same company).

Ain't owned the MTZs but my little brother (not really by blood, but just as well might be) does. It's also the tire of choice with a LOT of guys in my hunting club, I think the only tire I may see more of around club meetings might be the Toyo M/T.

I had a set of Claws on a '94 Wrangler I had from '97 till '02.

I'll start with the Claws. If this is a daily driver - forget them! Off-Road they outperform anything out there except maybe Boggers, but like the Boggers, they tend to get chewed up by concrete, they are loud and mean like Nitto Mud Grappler loud! They also get down right squirrely on wet pavement. Weekend truck, huntin'/fishin' rig they are about the best choice made, but on a daily driver, nope...

The MTZs are aggressive for sure, they handle mud well (better than my FCIIs), nothing like the Claw, but still better than most. They are also a great tow/haul tire and really grab the road with a load. Better than average on dry/wet pavement for a mud tire. Nothing like an A/T on the road, but as a mud tire, it's not supposed to be.
Like most Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek tires, the compound is tough and they tend to be on the upper end of the mud tire scale as far as longevity goes.

These are his MTZs with about 35k miles on them:

Name:  0331001302-2.jpg
Views: 2703
Size:  101.4 KB

He might get to 50k, but I'm thinking more like 45k , which is still unheard of for most aggressive mud tires.

Now for the monkey wrench: Have you considered the new Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC? A more road-friendly version of the legendary Claw. Supposed to be like a cross between the Claw and the MTZ. Too new for any real reviews on it, but I never met a Mickey tire I didn't like. Pretty sure it's gonna be my next tire, my only problem is my Cepeks have 31k on them and aren't even 10% worn yet. I guess a good problem to have.

As far as gas mileage, if you are concerned with gas mileage, get you some soccer mom tires. No aggressive tire is gonna be good. Hell, I even lost 3 MPG on my Grand Cherokee when I went from BFG highway tires to relatively mild Nitto Terra Grapplers...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 04-26-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:37 PM
pousaan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply Hammer, but I wasn't referring to Gas Mileage.....I meant like how many miles can I put on these suckers!

Mickey Thompson has discontinued the Baja Claw Radial and my tire shop made MT an offer for every claw they had left. They sell all the Mickey's and Dick Cepek.

The TTC's are on a major backorder and he doesn't have my size there. Plus he is giving me a major discount on both the MTZ's and Claw's.

I really like the claws tho. Had no intention on buying them until he showed me a price. LOL Now I am stumped.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:44 PM
outcast
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had claws on my old truck bad raod manners went with toyo m/t they'd go any where the claws did and ride really good i liked them so much i forked up $1600 to put them on my 20'' rims on my daily driver

Old 04-26-2011, 11:11 PM
popdog
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the thing goes on the road at all, MTZ all the way. They come in a significantly cheaper than the toyo's and they're freaking awesome. I got my set for under a grand. You will get at least 40k out of them. AT LEAST. I have over 10k on mine now and there is maybe 5% wear at best. They have some excellent road manners, better than any A/T that I've previously had, and they do a hell of a job off road or in snow. The MTZs do not disappoint and seemed to be overlooked by a lot who (in my opinion) overspend on the Toyos.

NOTE: the key to getting good mileage is rotating these puppies every oil change.

Quick Reply: Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ or Baja Claw Radials?