3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Fuel issues (filter?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Milbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel issues (filter?)

Hey there,
So I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500, 4x2, 4.7L, quad cab, short bed. I have a KNN air filter that gets recharged around every 3 months as necessary, recently got new tires (pressure checks good), engine oil gets changed around every 3k miles, had my transmission and rear diff oil changed about 2 years ago.
I fuel with 87 octane from Shell or Chevron. I refuel at about 1/2 tank. Around this time last year I was getting around 200 miles in that 1/2 tank. I'm now only getting around 125 miles.
I'm wondering if after 100k miles if maybe my fuel filter is going out. If anyone has any ideas I would be thankful for any help. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:57 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The recharge interval you're using on the K&N is probably WAY too often, but isn't the reason for the increased consumption UNLESS you're leaving too much solution in the filter. That would clobber your mileage pretty quick.

It's possible the fuel filter is clogged, but unlikely considering your refill habit. It's nearly a lifetime part anyway. A clogged fuel filter shouldn't drastically affect fuel consumption. Have you replaced the PCV valve? I don't see a mention of plugs. They're likely due now, as are the plug wires (assuming there are any). A Sea Foam treatment might perk it up some.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Milbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the plugs a few months back and they're still good to go. I havnt changed the PCV yet, Ill look into that. Thanks for your help. Ill get that changed and, if that doesnt work, ill hit it back up again =)

Quick Reply: Fuel issues (filter?)