3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

10w30.. oil to Full Synth..

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:26 PM
rideon20z
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10w30.. oil to Full Synth..

time for a oil change , can i switch from castrol 10w30 to a full synthetic oil right now ? or should i go with a synthetic blend first ? what weight should i use on the full sythetic , im in illinois and its about to be average 80 deg. here for the summer .

Old 06-11-2011, 06:48 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I always do a synthetic blend the first time when going from long term conventional use to synthetic, although I've NEVER read any real benefits of doing so. I just figure if there is any sludge build up, it won't break it down real fast like a full synthetic can and cause a clogged screen or pump problem.

Most, if not all 100% synthetic manufacturers claim you can go straight from dino oil to full synthetic (and back) with no problem, but like I said, I just happen to do one change with a blend, it may not have any real benefit, but it can't hurt.

Regardless of using a conventional or synthetic, stick to the viscosity recommended for your year/engine.

Quick Reply: 10w30.. oil to Full Synth..