3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Ebay CAI with K&N?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Dryphter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay CAI with K&N?

Hey guys,

I am looking at a CAI upgrade and can across this one on ebay. Looks like it will do the trick. Any thoughts?

Old 07-10-2011, 02:12 PM
ralaubach
Amateur
Location: If at first you don't succeed... go back and reload!

first off the pic... on the ebay add is of a 4.7but the head line reads for a 5.7. that would be my first concern. secondly it is easy enough and cheap enough to make one if you are not to worried about the looks of it. I am for the most part leery of most auto parts on ebay. for my 20,xxx$ truck i would much rather go with a reputable parts dealer that may cost an extra 30 or 50 bucks.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:20 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The problem with most of the ebay ones, especially the metal ones is that the welds are cheesy and break from the normal vibrations of the truck. I've brazed a couple for guys who live in my area and have even had to build a PVC one to replace theirs because it was broken so bad.

Make your own, take away the cost of the filter (a K&N will be about $35 in the auto parts store) and you're talking about $25 in parts including a can of color match spray paint so it'll match the truck.

I own a K&N, paid $300 for it almost seven years ago, since then, I've built about 15 for people, probably about ten or so on Rams and they perform just as well as my $300 one...

Old 07-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Dryphter

Thanks for the info. I'll go with the roll-your-own for that much. I am guessing there will be some nifty plans around this site somewhere to get me started.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:40 PM
ralaubach
Amateur
Location: If at first you don't succeed... go back and reload!

here is the DIY from the site that i used. but now its off because Injen used my truck to design one for us 3rd gens. thus I got a free nice looking one. either way the instructions work well.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-included.html

Old 07-11-2011, 07:26 PM
ricer
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
The problem with most of the ebay ones, especially the metal ones is that the welds are cheesy and break from the normal vibrations of the truck. I've brazed a couple for guys who live in my area and have even had to build a PVC one to replace theirs because it was broken so bad.

Make your own, take away the cost of the filter (a K&N will be about $35 in the auto parts store) and you're talking about $25 in parts including a can of color match spray paint so it'll match the truck.

I own a K&N, paid $300 for it almost seven years ago, since then, I've built about 15 for people, probably about ten or so on Rams and they perform just as well as my $300 one...
100% agree with Hammer! I did alot of research into CAI's and the more I looked the more I read to just build one myself, so I did. I first built one out of aluminum diamond plate and rolled and welded it but then got concerned with heat saturation. I then went with 3" abs like most of them you see made of and have loved mine ever since. I have about $20.00 in abs, the 90, and clamps. I dropped a K&N filter in my original filter box that I bought for $30.00 shipped off of the parts sale section on here and was good to go.
Name:  cai1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  20.6 KB
rolled and welded aluminum diamond plate
Name:  cai21.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  18.1 KB
ABS
Name:  ed8.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  17.2 KB

Quick Reply: Ebay CAI with K&N?