3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

LEDs, resistors and Fuses

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LEDs, resistors and Fuses

Quick question for the electrical gurus. So I know that if I swap out turn signal or tail light bulbs with LED bulbs I'll need to add in resistors to the circuits so the computer doesn't think I have a bulb out. Since LEDs use way less current than incandescent bulbs I would think I would be able to add in additional LED pods (like on the side mirrors, or even cornering lights) and just wire them up on the same circuit as original turn signals. So here's my problem, would the LEDs and added resistors and extra LEDs overload the original fuse circuit? The amperage / current draw should be much lower, but do the resistors somehow increase current draw?
I'm confused LOL and I hope that someone understands what i'm trying to ask.
Or a much easier option, is it possible for the dealership to use the starscan tool to reprogram the computer for LED bulb usage and not even have to worry about resistors?
Thanks guys, truck info is in my sig.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Ben D.
Champion

It probably wouldn't overload the circuit.... but I'm a big fan of using relays for almost any aftermarket accessory. You basically use the OEM turn signal wires to activate/deactivate the relay and you're then able to pull current from a much larger source.. such as the battery/fusebox. Then you have no worries about extra electrical draw. Still use resistors to solve for the fast flash but the relays would be used for mirror LED's and the extra stuff. That's how I would do it personally.. but if all you were gonna do is the LED turn signals and mirror LED's... probably would be ok.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Yeah relays and a new circuit would be the best method. I was just thinking of a shortcut "t-tap wire" method but that usually becomes problematic down the road.

Quick Reply: LEDs, resistors and Fuses