3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

would this be to heavy to tow????

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Trendy Rendy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would this be to heavy to tow????

Hey guys,
I'm in the market looking for a boat and I came across a 24ft cabin cruiser, bayliner to be exact. Now the thing is, is my truck going to have problems pulling it.
Its a 4.7L 2wd, but I did some mods to it such as CAI, superchips, exhaust(if that helps), posi, and put in 4.10 gears.
Any feedback is great
Thanks

Old 08-02-2011, 12:20 PM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just guessing but I would assume the boat and trailer would weight in the 6-7K range. You would probably be at your margin but with the 4.10 gear ratio it probably doable. I would be concerned with getting it out of a boat ramp with a 2wd considering a cabin cruiser sits deep in the water you will have to get the trailer a good ways down the ramp. I don't have a boat but my sister does. They use a Toyota Tundra to pull their 27' mid-cabin but he has 4x4.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:38 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your towing capacity has not changed with the mods to your truck. For a guess, it's probably rated at 7,000#, maybe a bit less. As long as the all-up weight (gas, "stuff", etc.,) is less than that, you should be good. You'll likely need (or will be required to have) trailer brakes. You probably have a GCWR somewhere around 12,000#.

One thing is sure: you'll know the boat is back there.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Yachtsman1304
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have grave difficulties getting the boat out of the water if the ramp is at all wet or has any sand on it. My 2500 lb. boat is a bear to get out of the water sometimes. If I did not have 4X4 the boat would still be at the ramp.... I would be careful with this one....sorry.

Quick Reply: would this be to heavy to tow????