3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

please help my head hurts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:20 AM
kal3k
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help my head hurts!!!

Ok I am ready to upgrade my wheels and tires...here is what I want to run and I'll explain my question afterwards.

option 1 : 20" X 10" rim with an offset of -24 and the rubber is 33/12.5/20"

option 2 : 20" x 8.5" rim with an offset of -24 and the rubber is 33/12.5/20

my head hurts from all the different tire combos and rubber sizes I have looked at over the weekend This is important to me that I get it right the first time. Because this mod cost a pretty penny.

My truck is a 2006 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Sport. I have no lift kit or leveling kit,nor do I want to get one, but the question I have is what package can I install without any rubbing issues or adding spacers or other mods. I just can't trust the tire shop guys, so I came to the pros of the dodge forums. Please help me I am desperate to find the true answer to this rim / tire combo rubbing issue!!!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:39 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at option 2: 5.75" (25 offset) is the stock backspace for 20" wheels. -24 offset puts you at 3.75" backspace, which is going to put a lot of stress on your wheel bearings. A 4.5" backspace (-6 offset) will allow for those tires, with some possible rubbing at full lock.

As for your first option, a 10" wheel is backspaced 4.5" at a -24 offset, but again, a wheel that wide may wear your wheel bearings far faster than normal. You don't need a 10" wheel to run a 12.5" tire.

Any particular reason you want to go 12.5" wide on a 33" tire and 20" rim?? What tires are you looking at? Also, check this thread for more great fitment info.

Quick Reply: please help my head hurts!!!