3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Cutting down gear stick

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 AM
zencyl
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting down gear stick

So for the last few years I have felt that the gear shift is too high for my taste on my 5spd. Has anyone ever heard of cutting one down? I have been thinking about cutting it down 2-3" and then putting one of those shift ***** that dont require threads. Any thoughts on this? I dont want to do it and then face palm because I didn't think of everything on this.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Ben D.
Champion

well on my six speed the shift lever unscrews from the base at the floor pan in the truck so if yours is the same.. the idea of taking it off isn't a big deal at all..

I doubt it would be too big of a project for someone that's handy with hand tools and a saw.. you were only talking about taking off a few inches so that shouldn't make a big change in effort to get through gears..

my shifter is tapered meaning it's thinner at the top then bottom... make sure you don't cut so low that it's too thick to find a shift **** to fit over.. other than that.. it's your truck make it how you want it man I say go for it !!!

Old 08-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

Do it! And show us pics when done. Goodluck

Quick Reply: Cutting down gear stick